Drysuit Seams - Yeah, I know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qwertz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Morning Pals,

... so my drysuit is leaking, right around the seams.

Due to its relatively young age of 5-6years I am unwilling to give up on it.
It is a Waterproof D7pro Cordura and an absolute pita when it comes to repairs and locating holes, especially thanks to the cordura outer shell.

Yesterday, I forgot the undergarnments and went for a dive nonetheless and was able to find leaks that I would not recognize with undies - so they are small af. Nevertheless, I investigated and found them right away - so the pita of locating is done. Attached you can find pictures.

You can see the repairs done by differnt LDSs, but I feel it is time to investigate the necessary skills and tools and give it a go by myself.

I know - it's them seams. But I feel this is the perfect opportunity to give it a go by myself, I can buy a new suit after f....ng up repairs on this one.

I am not precisely a handy man and have to clue with glues.

I'd highly appreciate your input on the leaks, recommended glues and procedures to give it a go in fixing. Thankfully I got no kids and lots of time to spend.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

First pic: Knee area, previously fixed by different shops.
Second: The obligatory crotch area, successfully fixed years ago.
Third one: Lower back area, a new one.
20220212_121759.jpg
20220212_121838.jpg

20220212_122233.jpg

I use E6000 craft glue on my seals. Works great, easy to buy from Amazon. Its a pliable silicone type glue that works on cloth, and most everything else.

Hi Dave! Thanks for the input - will investigate.

Seems to be pretty bad, since no more answers pop up. Will keep this thread updated nonetheless with all failures and - if the drysuit-gods allow - success.

kflex 620 in the pint can is slightly cheaper if you have a lot of repairs to do, e6000 in the 3.7 oz tube is easier to find.

Regardless of the choice in glue (which is an argument of its own), I recommend removing all the original seam tape AND old patches prior to fixing. Depending on the leak, you might find some capillary action occurring, and throwing a new patch over the top might not work. Likely this has occurred with the areas you have highlighted, as the patches are over the seam tape.
I also recommend doing at least 2-3 inches either side of where you think the leak is to ensure you really get it.

So:
1. Remove all old seam tapes/patches
2. Remove as much of old glue as possible (I recommend a Dremel)
3. Clean with Toluene, allow to dry
4. Scuff area lightly with Dremel, careful enough not to go through material
5. Clean again with Toluene
6. Apply glue to area and patch. 3 coats to each, allowing 5 or so mins between coats (or until tacky)
7. Apply patch to area, roll it with a roller or press firmly on that area for 3-5 mins to ensure tight seal between materials.
8. Allow 24hrs to dry.

The crotch is a rough area to fix as it has multiple layers of material which are all folded around one another. Often you'll see four areas of material, forming a really thick seam.

I'm probably not one to take advice from for fixing drysuits, but a flashlight inside the suit (inside out) was helpful for finding small pinholes. I found and fixed a few on one of my suits that I just couldn't locate in the pool for the life of me with this method.

I'm probably not one to take advice from for fixing drysuits, but a flashlight inside the suit (inside out) was helpful for finding small pinholes. I found and fixed a few on one of my suits that I just couldn't locate in the pool for the life of me with this method.
And if that doesn't work, just fill your suit with water and watch where it will spring a leak. This method finally helped me fix a small leak on my old suit.

So the project started yesterday evening.
I went with Seam Grip WP and E6000, along with WPM Melco 5000 Tape.
I did do some test patches with the glue and think I will use the Seam Grip - it appears to be the better choice, based solely on an highly uneducated guess.

With a heat gun, I was able to remove old patches + tape surprisingly well - but it is a pain to clean the surfaces and get rid of old glue, applied by repair techs. The MF made it quite easy to remove the tape. Note the two layers of tape - I figred that after doing the crotch area.

Attachments

• 2-tape-layers.jpg
    2-tape-layers.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 98
  • clean.jpg
    clean.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 110
  • cleanedtwos.jpg
    cleanedtwos.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 98
  • leakyarea.jpg
    leakyarea.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 94
  • removecrotch.jpg
    removecrotch.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107
  • trash.jpg
    trash.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 91
Noice, thanks for the photos

So the project started yesterday evening.
I went with Seam Grip WP and E6000, along with WPM Melco 5000 Tape.
I did do some test patches with the glue and think I will use the Seam Grip - it appears to be the better choice, based solely on an highly uneducated guess.

With a heat gun, I was able to remove old patches + tape surprisingly well - but it is a pain to clean the surfaces and get rid of old glue, applied by repair techs. The MF made it quite easy to remove the tape. Note the two layers of tape - I figred that after doing the crotch area.

I'm not a professional drysuit repair person per se, but I don't believe you have to remove all the glue, you just need to rough it up enough (and then clean it really well) so the new layer sticks to the old layer.

Might save you some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom