Drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just was wondering how long drysuit seals last for on average? Both latex and neoprene.

I have neoprene seals, they look almost as good as new after 100+ dives. But wondering how much longer I can expect to get out of them.

And also just interested in how long latex seals last for as I am considering (when my current neck seal goes) getting a latex neck seal.

Neoprene seals...I have no idea...hundreds of dives, I'm guessing. Neoprene seals probably last longer than latex seals.

Latex seal life is determined by lots of variables. It seems as though some people with the older drysuits (15+ yrs.) are still diving with the original seals. Weird, huh? On the other hand, my experience with newer drysuits with latex seals is that the neck seals will last 1-2 years. Inexplicably, I'm still using the original latex wrist seals on my Bare Nex-Gen. For reference, I've put about 250 dives on the suit in about 3.5 years.

With latex seals, there are just too many factors to consider: ozone exposure during storage, suntan lotion exposure, dirty water exposure, personal oils exposure, thickness, age of the seals prior to mounting on drysuit, how rigorous maintenance has been, talc use, "seal saver" use (I think Tribolube has a new product out), and the list goes on and on.

If you ever switch over to latex seals, I'd recommend learning how to change them out yourself. Then change 'em when you need to. Sorry I couldn't give a more definite answer... :idk:

The latex wrist seals on my original Mobby's suit lasted FOREVER -- I mean, several years and hundreds of dives. But the latex seals on my Fusion were done in a year, and they disintegrated.

I'm not the person to talk to about neck seals. I get about 70 dives off a latex neck seal, and I cannot figure out why. It doesn't matter what brand or type of seal I use. It's always the same.

I expect you will upgrade your suit before your neo neck seal wears out.
I am very hard on gear so I am not a good reference for latex seals.

Latex seals seem to last anywhere from 70-150 dives, 1,2,5 years. There are a lot of variables.

Learn to change them yourself and you'll save $$$.

VI

I find that seal life is more about how you maintain them and store them then use them.

If you clean them after your dives and store your suit in a bag the seals last much longer. If you don't clean your seals and hang your suit in open air the seals will dry out and crack much faster.

I go 2-3 years on a set of seals with heavy use. I change my own and do all 3 anytime one looks bad. I don't want to loose time in the field. Next seal change I think I'm going to install the new Si tech quick change systems.

Ok thanks for the advice. I don't do anything special to my seals, just soak my suit once a week when in use and my suit is stored inside, mostly in the open air (but in a cupboard). So I'll keep some of these comments in mind.

Whilst I am not a very practical person, I would be interested in learning how to change them myself, any tips for this? Or step by step guides?

Whilst I am not a very practical person, I would be interested in learning how to change them myself, any tips for this? Or step by step guides?
DUI has some nice downloadable PDF guides on replacing seals.

Airspeedpress.com sells a $40 book entitled, "Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair." It contains lots of great info on valves and patching holes in addition to replacing seals.

OS systems will sell you everything you need.
They have well written instructions on there web site. It will cost you a few bucks to get setup, but having the correct tools is worth a lot in time. Cleanliness is godliness, if its not clean the glue will peel. Your first set of seals will look like crap but should not leak. After 3 or 4 suits they will start looking good :wink:

TRIBOLUBE® SC Protecterant is NEW and recently released for sale during Underwater Interventions February 9th, 2010. TRIBOLUBE® SC is a conditioner suitable for use on the internal and external surfaces of dry suit seals, rubber products (natural and synthetic), neoprene, polyurethane, and latex material. It will extend the life of your equipment, and protect your investment. It stops oxidation, deterioration, dry rot, and corrosion caused by exposure to salt water. TRIBOLUBE® SC is ideal for all dry suit seals, wet suits, gloves, zippers, hoses, tubing, and all dive gear that can dry out and become brittle. If you want to remove TRIBOLUBE® SC from any area, for best results just use soap and warm water.

Neoprene seals...I have no idea...hundreds of dives, I'm guessing. Neoprene seals probably last longer than latex seals.

Latex seal life is determined by lots of variables. It seems as though some people with the older drysuits (15+ yrs.) are still diving with the original seals. Weird, huh? On the other hand, my experience with newer drysuits with latex seals is that the neck seals will last 1-2 years. Inexplicably, I'm still using the original latex wrist seals on my Bare Nex-Gen. For reference, I've put about 250 dives on the suit in about 3.5 years.

With latex seals, there are just too many factors to consider: ozone exposure during storage, suntan lotion exposure, dirty water exposure, personal oils exposure, thickness, age of the seals prior to mounting on drysuit, how rigorous maintenance has been, talc use, "seal saver" use (I think Tribolube has a new product out), and the list goes on and on.

If you ever switch over to latex seals, I'd recommend learning how to change them out yourself. Then change 'em when you need to. Sorry I couldn't give a more definite answer... :idk:

Back
Top Bottom