Drysuit - Scubapro vs. Seaskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LPA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but can't seem to figure this one out, so am turning to the cave diving gurus here.

Currently looking into getting a drysuit and narrowed it down to three options, which are very different, based mostly on quality vs. price trade-off.

- Scubapro Everdry 4
- Seaskin trilam
- Seaskin Neoprene

Intended use is florida and mexico caves, as well as the occasional wreck in NY/NJ. Will probably use it mostly for travelling, which favors trilam. However, neoprene might be more durable in these type of environments (even though some complain about leaking seams with neopr). Also, haven't tried the fit of the Scubapro yet, which might eliminate that one quickly.

Another honestly silly decision factor is that I can get the ScubaPro tomorrow, while the SeaSkin has a wait time of a couple months. Which would mean either getting a semidry for my cave diving trip next week, or figuring out a way to make my 3mm work in 65F water with e.g. a 7mm hooded vest (sounds like a great idea.... ;-) )

IMHO... I bought a dry suit thinking I had to have one because I thought I knew I would dive with it frequently during the winter months when the water turned cold. So I spent $2500 and got an Otter Britannic, nice suit. Very heavy even before you add the weights and the steel tank. I have really only used it sparingly as it requires much more effort before, during and after the dive to use and maintain. Doing it over again I would get the lightest and least expensive suit you can find for starting the dry suit experience. Dry suits do not have to be custom fit and if you get all the bells and whistles on your first suit you may find and most likely will find some of the great idea, must have features you really don't need and now they get in the way, restrict movement, add weight and complications. Save some doe, simplify the suit. I think you'll enjoy it more in the long run.

if you're flying you want to be in a bag suit. They hold up just fine. Sure neoprene is probably better, but if you're flying you're not going to want to tote that weight around nor will you want to have to wait for it to dry *days, not hours*

Over the years I dove Comox and Atlan neoprene suits in inland commericla diving as well as O'Neil neoprene dry suits.

I also dive the Scubapro Everdry 4. It's a compressed neoprene suit and it's very comfortable with enough stretch to allow for very low drag when swimming it. I have not had issues with the suit material or seams leaking, and in general I have not had problems with suit leaks in neoprene suits until the suit is well past its prime already. Budget a couple dollars per dive, and you'll be able to replace it when it wears out. That will occur sooner than with a trilam suit, but then again while they last twice as long they usually cost twice as much.

The only complaint I have about the Scubapro Everdry 4 is that Scubapro uses 3mm rather than 6mm neoprene in the neck seal and they size them a little large, with the result that they have a tendency to burp if you go vertical in the water with air in the suit. Your suit will come with a foam insert in the neck with a neoprene collar around the neck seal. Save the collar as it comes in very handy to slide over the seal once you've rolled it under on your neck. It helps hold the seal in place and prevents burping if you are vertical in the water.

I recommend people avoid the Scuabpro Exodry suit as I'm not a fan of the T-zip used in it as they don't seem to hold up as well as a conventional dry suit zipper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom