Drysuit neck seal. How tight is tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just picked up my first dry suit, trilam with latex seals. I am trying to get the neck seal right but am terrified of cutting it too wide. Is there any rule of thumb for how this should fit. I have taken 2 rings off it so far but it still feels tight. Any experiences or info would be appreciated.

Put something in the neckseal to stretch it up.

Since it's your first drysuit, it's pretty likely you'll feel like it is too tight. Make a few test dives with it and see how it feels underwater etc...

Do you pass out from wearing it on land? No? It's probably good then.

All kidding aside, I asked the exact question when started diving my drysuit this spring. The concensus I got was that if it's uncomfortable on land, but just fine under the water, then you got it right. If I have my neack seal on for a bit before getting wet, I have to stretch it out every few minutes, but I don't even notice it while diving.

I tell people, if your veins don't pop out and your face does not turn red on land, its not to tight.
It should feel snug.

Remember, like others have said, when you get into cold water your neck will shrink a little.
If you cut it to loose, it may not leak most times, unless you look up.

Do you pass out from wearing it on land? No? It's probably good then.

All kidding aside, I asked the exact question when started diving my drysuit this spring. The concensus I got was that if it's uncomfortable on land, but just fine under the water, then you got it right. If I have my neack seal on for a bit before getting wet, I have to stretch it out every few minutes, but I don't even notice it while diving.

That works fine for me too, unconfortable on land, but unoticeble in the water

"uncomfortable" is a pretty ambiguous term. What may be uncomfortable for one, may not be for another. Why not use a known quantity such as DUI's chart and then make small adjustments?

Does DUI's chart work for neck seals other than the brand they put on their suits?

Latex WILL stretch over time. I have put my neck seals on a tank to stretch for 24 to 48 hours before cutting them. I then cut them until they are uncomfortable enough that I wish I could take them off, but not so uncomfortable that my vision blurs or my face turns purple to an observer. After about a dozen dives, that turns out to be perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom