Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinLoos1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I conducted a drysuit leak test on my DUI Yukon II drysuit. I did the test with the drysuit right-side out and filled via the drysuit inflator. I clipped the dry gloves on. I sealed the neck with a small plastic bucket and reinforced with electrical Tape. I closed the dump valve completely. I have 3 questions.

1. What objects do you guys use to fill the neck seal?
2. When the suit is inflated with air and all the creases become smooth is it normal for the drysuit dump valve to leak? Mine does.
3. If it’s normal for the dump valve to leak air when the suit is inflated should I couldn’t the leak test with the dump valve reversed (inside out?)

Please see pictures below. Thank you.

CEF970D8-3839-4553-BD18-E82338A7FF06.jpeg
ACF77268-7E2D-49C0-B71D-43DA097D5656.jpeg
A147EBE6-1D37-4419-A7F0-FC0A1613BA8C.jpeg

The dump valve shouldn’t leak if you have it turned in all the way (closed) unless you have so much pressure that it has to open but I would expect the bucket to pop out before that happens.

I’ve used a plastic pop corn bucket or a 1 gallon bottle, never bothered to tape it.

Hi,

I conducted a drysuit leak test on my DUI Yukon II drysuit. I did the test with the drysuit right-side out and filled via the drysuit inflator. I clipped the dry gloves on. I sealed the neck with a small plastic bucket and reinforced with electrical Tape. I closed the dump valve completely. I have 3 questions.

1. What objects do you guys use to fill the neck seal?
2. When the suit is inflated with air and all the creases become smooth is it normal for the drysuit dump valve to leak? Mine does.
3. If it’s normal for the dump valve to leak air when the suit is inflated should I couldn’t the leak test with the dump valve reversed (inside out?)

When I leak tested my suit, I used a small mooring buoy to block the neck seal and suspend it. It worked great. I also used my dryglove system to block the wrist seals, and like you, I inflated it via the chest inflator:
1663738966784.png

1663739399202.png

The dump valve should not leak. The valve may not be screwed together tight enough or perhaps you have some sand or other shmoo gunking up the inner working of the dump valve. Here is a link to a youtube video that covers removing, teardown, cleaning, and replacement of the valve.

It is sometimes recommended to leak-test a suit by turning it inside-out before inflating it, one would either need to remove and remount the inflator assembly so it remains accessible when the suit is inside-out or you can fashion a plug for one of the wrists with an inflator fitting to fill off a shop air compressor, bike pump, or Scuba cylinder depending on the type of fitting used. Si-tech makes a wrist seal blanking plug for leak testing, but I am not 100% sure if one can fill the suit with air via the blanking plug:

1663741952832.png

-Z

take the valve apart and clean it - probably a bit of debri
any container that fits snugly dry gloves are ideal
if I cant find the leak i fill the suit with water and see where the damp patches appear

When I leak tested my suit, I used a small mooring buoy to block the neck seal and suspend it. It worked great. I also used my dryglove system to block the wrist seals, and like you, I inflated it via the chest inflator:
View attachment 744777

View attachment 744778

The dump valve should not leak. The valve may not be screwed together tight enough or perhaps you have some sand or other shmoo gunking up the inner working of the dump valve. Here is a link to a youtube video that covers removing, teardown, cleaning, and replacement of the valve.

It is sometimes recommended to leak-test a suit by turning it inside-out before inflating it, one would either need to remove and remount the inflator assembly so it remains accessible when the suit is inside-out or you can fashion a plug for one of the wrists with an inflator fitting to fill off a shop air compressor, bike pump, or Scuba cylinder depending on the type of fitting used. Si-tech makes a wrist seal blanking plug for leak testing, but I am not 100% sure if one can fill the suit with air via the blanking plug:

View attachment 744779

-Z
Thank you! Your advice is helpful!

Some good advice I got from DUI when I asked them about a spot I had concerns about. Thought I’d share here…

“ When we test the suits we put less than 1 psi of air in the drysuit and submerge in a test tank. To see a leak above water, most people put so much overpressure to see bubbles. Less than 1 PSI you will never see a soapy bubble appear.

A better home test is to put on cotton clothing that would show water spots easy. Put on the drysuit over the cotton clothing and sit in a pool tub or hot tub bath, etc. for about 10 minutes. Esit water and dry off the entire exterior of the drysuit to not have dripping water. Take of the drysuit and the cotton clothing will show any leak spots. “

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom