Drysuit inflator problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIdiverMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove Sat and Sun this w/e at the same site in my TLS350. About 40 degrees in the water so several layers of fleece/underamour, S100 and 30lbs of weight, including 4 on the ankles (I know I should get rid of these training wheels but whenever I do, I invert). No buoyancy problems on Sat, nice dive to about 65ft. On Sunday, same site, same equipment and weight, but way too much air in the suit throughout the dive. I only hit the inflator once at around 15ft and almost immediately felt air in my feet. I exhausted immediately and had to continue repeatedly throughout the dive to avoid a rapid ascent. Seemed as soon as I vented I immediately needed to do so again even though I didn't use the inflator after this first time.

I've only got about 45 dry dives and I started off with some pretty good buoyancy problems. But I've had no significant problems with it for about 25 dives till yesterday.

I assume this must be a leaky inflator since I can't imagine how else the suit would continually fill with air. That certainly occured to me during the dive, but I heard no hiss and saw no bubbles coming from the inflator either during or after the dive. Few questions for those with more dry experience:

1. Are there any other ways the suit could inflate like this besides the inflator valve being leaky?

2. If I do have a leaky inflator, is it possible that the leak's so small that there would be visible/audible sensation of the leak?

3. I rinsed the suit in the shower Sat nite before the problematic Sunday dive. Is it possible that since I didn't soak the valve per se, instead of simply rinsing, that some salt or junk got in there? I don't normally soak either valve - I rinse with warm water at the site right after exiting the water and then I rinse in the shower at home. Is a more thorough warm water rinse recommended?

Logically I'm telling myself that a leaky inflator is the only plausible explanation and yet I saw/heard no evidence of a leak. Hmmm.

Any observations/advice appreciated!

No, there is no way air gets into the suit except through the inflation system. And yes, you can have a leak that is small enough that you don't hear it. (A couple of years ago, I had two very frustrating dives in Mexico where my buoyancy and trim were shot -- until I realized that I was repeatedly dumping air out of the suit that I hadn't PUT there :) ) And yes, the leak can be due to salt crystals, or to sand or silt or anything that gets into the valve.

Dry suit inflator valves are not difficult to service. Sometimes you don't even have to replace the o-rings, and just taking the thing apart and giving it a good cleaning will solve the problem.

Dove Sat and Sun this w/e at the same site in my TLS350. About 40 degrees in the water so several layers of fleece/underamour, S100 and 30lbs of weight, including 4 on the ankles (I know I should get rid of these training wheels but whenever I do, I invert). No buoyancy problems on Sat, nice dive to about 65ft. On Sunday, same site, same equipment and weight, but way too much air in the suit throughout the dive. I only hit the inflator once at around 15ft and almost immediately felt air in my feet. I exhausted immediately and had to continue repeatedly throughout the dive to avoid a rapid ascent. Seemed as soon as I vented I immediately needed to do so again even though I didn't use the inflator after this first time.

I've only got about 45 dry dives and I started off with some pretty good buoyancy problems. But I've had no significant problems with it for about 25 dives till yesterday.

I assume this must be a leaky inflator since I can't imagine how else the suit would continually fill with air. That certainly occured to me during the dive, but I heard no hiss and saw no bubbles coming from the inflator either during or after the dive. Few questions for those with more dry experience:

1. Are there any other ways the suit could inflate like this besides the inflator valve being leaky?

2. If I do have a leaky inflator, is it possible that the leak's so small that there would be visible/audible sensation of the leak?

3. I rinsed the suit in the shower Sat nite before the problematic Sunday dive. Is it possible that since I didn't soak the valve per se, instead of simply rinsing, that some salt or junk got in there? I don't normally soak either valve - I rinse with warm water at the site right after exiting the water and then I rinse in the shower at home. Is a more thorough warm water rinse recommended?

Logically I'm telling myself that a leaky inflator is the only plausible explanation and yet I saw/heard no evidence of a leak. Hmmm.

Any observations/advice appreciated!

I can confirm that these valves are able to leak in an insidious way. If you get that persistent, floaty feeling again (at constant depth), disconnect the inflator hose and see whether that stops it.

Or, if you have doubles, close the left post and watch the SPG. The pressure will drop if there is a leak. Now, disconnect the inflator hose. If pressure stops dropping, the inflator was leaking. Don't forget to re-open left post after the leak check.

Or, if you have doubles, close the left post and watch the SPG. The pressure will drop if there is a leak. Now, disconnect the inflator hose. If pressure stops dropping, the inflator was leaking. Don't forget to re-open left post after the leak check.

Nice test sequence! I'll have to remember that. (Although, after a couple of experiences, I think I've finally learned to recognize when more air is going out than I am putting in :) )

Nice test sequence! I'll have to remember that. (Although, after a couple of experiences, I think I've finally learned to recognize when more air is going out than I am putting in :) )

I had my suspicions, just needed the evidence to convict. The sentence was tear-down and O-ring replacement. Full re-socialization was achieved.

What TS&M said . . .

the K

Back
Top Bottom