Drysuit in warm waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in S. Florida. Winter waters usually are 73-74F with dips to 70F. Probably 2-4F lower at depth but doesn't vary much unless below 100 feet. During summer surface can be 86-88F (upper 90's in shallows) and 84-82F at depth. So, these are the extremes.

If I dive the shallows in the middle of the summer, I tend to do it just in swimwear. Boat dives I still do in full 3mm, I crawl the wrecks and jellies near surface can be a nuisance. Mostly it is a question if I put on my hood in the summer.

Winter dives are crappy, if you are wet and cold wind blows, it is the most uncomfortable feeling. Mind you, it is the surface break between the dives that chills you most than the waters. Drysuit doesn't fully solve the problem, I am still sweaty from the dive. So, I have a choice, not to open my suit and continue to sweat or remove the drysuit and change the base layer for a dry one (probably most sensible). The dive boats here don't have inner spaces that could be heated. But thankfully this is for no more than 2 months. By then you can catch some warm sun and actually enjoy the surface break.

I probably enjoy the shore dives in the winter in a drysuit the most. When you are done, you are done, take off the base layer and enjoy some warm clothes, no more cold dips, jump into a heated car. Why I don't like the wetsuit during the winter shore dives is that the trip from the ocean to the parking lot can be most teeth shattering in high wind.

-------

PS: I have no idea how people dive in cold regions. My theory is that some die out from the extreme chill and ones you see are the evolutionary survivors.

My limit is 23 Celsius

At the moment I don't have a dry suit and don't see myself getting trained for one because its only two months of the year (mid December to Mid January) where it generally dips below 23 C.
Which is fine because those two months are the best months of the year in the Arab Gulf.
Coldest months (by cold, I mean warm Swiss summers lol) - 13 C if you're out in the desert or 19 C in the city.
At 23 C a 3mm and hoodie are comfortable.
But I disfavor the surface interval strut - there is too much appendage shrinkage :wink:
Its the surface interval combined with the boat moving that freezes.
For that I picked up an almost wind proof poncho.

Maybe next winter I'll pick up a semi-dry.
@Searcaigh - something we can chat about :D

Back
Top Bottom