• 7mm with bib

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDKL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering what people have been using for hoods for extended cenote dives... I mostly have 7mm or thicker and was considering something thinner for this trip.

Does anyone have any brand or thickness recommendations?

Hi DDKL,

I've been going to Mexico for cave diving once or twice a year for 8 years. I'm a fish-nerd and u/w photographer, so, whenever possible, after a cave dive I spend a bunch of time in the cenote photographing the fishes. I used to wear a 3mm drysuit hood (no bib, and with a 5mm wetsuit), but I used to get a bit chilled on long dives (90+ mins). Then I switched to a 3mm hood with a bib, and am very comfortable, even after two hours of not a lot of swimming. Hope that helps!

Lee

I will be wearing a drysuit this time around as a 5mm wetsuit with hood was getting a little chilly at the end of the day after a few hours in water...

What does extended mean? Doubles and stages/rebreather extended? Of course, cold, is different for everyone.

I did (3) hour plus dives with a 45 minute SI between them in an old 3 mil full suit and a shorty underneath. By the end of the third dive, I was a little cold...but not bad. That's without any hood or gloves. If your diving dry, unless your extremely cold natured, I would think a minimal hood wood be sufficient...if any at all.

Are people from Minnesota, divers no less, even allowed to be cold natured? I would think it would be hard to run from the polar bears and abominable snowmen if you were shivering...

If your doing 2 hour plus dives, you might throw a 3mm or hyperstretch hood in your bag...it's not like it's hard to pack. If you need it, it's there. Get ready for some beautiful dives!!

Good luck, safe travels.

Jay

you can always flush the hoods or take them off temporarily if you get hot. Really hard to add layers if you need it. I dive with 7mm hoods regularly and have never minded using them so try to always dive with the thick hoods

Just back from a week of extended range cave dives down there. Do multiple trips a year there. In the past I've used an 5m compressed neo hood but its getting a bit dated and worn. Its always been a bit on the warm side while suiting up. This trip I went with a 3m 4th element hood, worked great! One dive per day, dbls with a stage or two some scootering anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 hours in length. Always dive dry but my head was plenty warm enough.

5mm hood in Mexico works for me but your mileage may vary. Actually it's a 8 year old Fourth Element 7mm hood (no bib) so it's probably like 3.5-4mm at this point.

As

I did full cave in a 3mm wetsuit no hood and I only got cold towards the end of the last day. Now I dive with a K01 because I’m typically doing pretty long dives and it’s just more comfortable. It’s all a matter of cold tolerance. The last time I was there I just did cavern diving with a friend and didn’t bother with a hood and had no issues.

If the dives are shorter then 60 min i don't use a hood. If a dive is longer i use a 3mm hood. I always dive in a drysuit, also in Mexico, i tend to get cold pretty fast.
On 3 hours+ dives i always get cold toward the end of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom