Drysuit - help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
it is time I change my drysuit but I have now been unsure which to get for weeks..

So now I turn to u all for advice:

Ursuit
or
Fourth Element Argonaut 2.0

Than you in advance :)

I think they are both very good. If they were the same price, I would probably go for the 4E, taking advantage of their Biomap process to ensure a perfect fit.

But, I just got a new drysuit myself and I prefer it to either of those. Mainly because I think it is their equal in quality and vastly less expensive. At least, here in the U.S..

Seaskin Nova drysuit review

The price is certainly nice, but how's the fit? Can you or someone else compare it to Ursuit of FE?

AJ:
The price is certainly nice, but how's the fit? Can you or someone else compare it to Ursuit of FE?

The Seaskin is made-to-measure, so the fit is, well, custom. Mine seems to fit pretty much perfectly. I expect it's down to how well you follow the instructions to take the measurements that you provide. Thus, I cannot compare it to the fit of an Ursuit or 4E. Other than one of my fellow instructors at my shop got a 4E Argonaut, fitted using the Biomap process and his seems to fit him perfectly as well. The only thing I haven't tried yet, to really confirm the fit, is dive it with the 250gr made-to-measure undergarment I got with it. I tried it on in my living room and the fit felt good, but I need to get in the water and confirm I can still reach my tank valves on my doubles even with all that on underneath.

I ordered my Seaskin at the beginning of June. After I submitted my order, they emailed me an order confirmation that said it would be ready to ship on August 31st. That was the Friday before Labor Day. Shipping from the UK took approximately 1 week, so true to their word from the beginning of June, I received my suit on something like Wed, Sept 13th. It fit perfectly. It cost approx USD$1100, with every option I could even think of.

One of my local buddies has an Ursuit Softdura suit. He looked at the Seaskin and said the Seaskin appears to be made of the exact same materials. 7 wreck penetration dives later, it still looks like brand new and I'm still totally dry. :)

Ursuit wasn't an option for me, but 4E was. 4E orders seem to take just as long and cost twice as much or more.

I pretty much have decided on an FE, but the price....aaarghhh! I know what you mean. Fit is very important to me, that's why I asked. I currently own a Santi, but it does not fit well though it is custom made. Quality also is not what I expected.

Ursuit made the previous Argonaut. Great quality, no doubt about that. Real scandinavian finish and quality. FE has also great finish, better than Santi imo.

Ursuit makes many (but not necessarily all) fourth element models. 4E models and materials are different so they are not carbon copies.
But workmanship is likely the same.

The Seaskin is made-to-measure, so the fit is, well, custom. Mine seems to fit pretty much perfectly. I expect it's down to how well you follow the instructions to take the measurements that you provide. Thus, I cannot compare it to the fit of an Ursuit or 4E. Other than one of my fellow instructors at my shop got a 4E Argonaut, fitted using the Biomap process and his seems to fit him perfectly as well. The only thing I haven't tried yet, to really confirm the fit, is dive it with the 250gr made-to-measure undergarment I got with it. I tried it on in my living room and the fit felt good, but I need to get in the water and confirm I can still reach my tank valves on my doubles even with all that on underneath.

It shouldn't be an issue. I fit a 400gram BZ400 under my seaskin and could still reach my valves without issue. My seaskin gave up the ghost a couple of years back, but it was a cracking suit for the money. I put around 700 or so dives on it and really didn't take very good care of it either.

Have you ordered your seaskins with or without the extra allowance for thick undersuits?

When I ordered mine, I did NOT tick the box for extra allowance for thick undersuits. I did email them after they confirmed my order to ask "I ordered a suit and made-to-measure undergarments all together, but I did not tick the extra allowance box on my order. You will make the suit big enough to accommodate the undergarments I ordered, right?" They responded and said yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom