DIR- GUE Drysuit Front Zipper Orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking into getting my first drysuit.

Does it matter whether your drysuit front zipper runs from your right shoulder to your left hip or your left shoulder to your right hip?

From social media posts from GUE divers, it looks like most people have it running right shoulder to left hip. But I could be wrong.

Hello ahcalde

I think it depends a lot on whether you are left or right handed, I (right handed) find it more comfortable when I can grab my left shoulder with my right hand to open the zipper.

It should not have any influence on diving.

What I can definitely not recommend are zippers on the back. Have already seen some desperate divers who have almost peed in the drysuit because no one was available to open the zipper directly after the dive :wink:

Hope I could help you

Greetings
Pareto

From social media posts from GUE divers, it looks like most people have it running right shoulder to left hip. But I could be wrong.
Most suits are built with it running left shoulder to right hip. I know people who opted for the other side for various reasons. Either one works, there is no DIR or GUE recommendation.

Most go top left bottom right as that’s right handed when worn.

However the top left zip placement can interfere with the shoulder dump for petite suits, hence some female suits may go the other way, top right to bottom left.

What I can definitely not recommend are zippers on the back. Have already seen some desperate divers who have almost peed in the drysuit because no one was available to open the zipper directly after the dive :wink:
But you were there, weren't you :) :)
Personaly, I can zip myself in and out of "back zippered" suit without any problem :)

Hello ahcalde

I think it depends a lot on whether you are left or right handed, I (right handed) find it more comfortable when I can grab my left shoulder with my right hand to open the zipper.

It should not have any influence on diving.

Hope I could help you

Greetings
Pareto
Back zippers make better drysuits. No extra hem on lower torso, suit is more form fitting. Just get pee valve, it's best feature you have with drysuit.

I recently tried on a (shoulder to shoulder) straight horizontal front zipper Drysuit. I’ve owned a backzip and was thinking a front horizontal would be a little easier. Boy was I surprised, I couldn’t (alone) zip it up. The diagonal front zipper has to be the easiest.

I recently tried on a straight horizontal front zipper Drysuit. I’ve owned a backzip and was thinking a front horizontal would be a little easier. Boy was I surprised, I couldn’t (alone) zip it up. The diagonal front zipper has to be the easiest.
Horizontal around the waist?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom