Drysuit certification really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
I was told a diver needs a drysuit certification to use one. Is this true, or can an OW diver do the drysuit deal on their own with some pool practice?

Dan

If you don't have a drysuit card, the National Guard isn't going to "haul you away". The main reason for having one is that a experienced drysuit instructor will take you the process so you know how to handle different situations. Weighting, trim, run away inflation, etc.

If you ever wanted to rent a drysuit, then you will need a card for that. If those things don't appeal to you, just go for it. Try it first in a pool though.

Although a specific course isnt needed (and the prices ive seen quoted look like a total rip off) some instruction off either an instructor OR someone experienced in using a dry suit is needed. Going it alone in a pool is unlikely to cover all the things needed.
A drysuit really is only an hour or maybe 2 in the pool then some gentle shallow open water dives to get the hang on the thing.

So my view, certification needed, no. Instruction of some form required, yes.

Going along with the previous two posts no certification is not required.

I learned the skills fairly easily with absolutely not instruction but if you feel that a course is better then by all means take it.

If you don't take the course then read as much as possible and like mentioned before get in some pool time. If possible you really should practice with an experienced person just to reduce the time needed to learn the new skills and prehaps to pick up a few helpful hints along the way too.

I didn't get in any pool time before my first dry dive but I did choose a very shallow simple dive at a site I regularily used for testing new equipment. Things went well for the first few dives so I slowly increased the complexity of the dives until I was satisfied.

The last thing you want to do is jump in for a deep or complex dive with your newly purchased dry suit before you have had time to practice.

When you buy a drysuit, many dive shops will include at least one pool session and one OW session on its safe operation. Provided of course that it was not a used drysuit, or you purchased it from a cyber store. You are spending a lot of money; why not ask the shop for a deal on the course as well. You may be surprised to find the LDS quite accommodating in that regard.

As for it being required, only if you want to learn how to dive one and not spend the first dozen or two dives being frustrated and end up possibly hating the thing.

While a card is not needed some good training on the safe operation and care of the dry suit is VERY helpfull.

Even half a day with a good instructor will greatly increase your safety and comfort, not to mention enjoyment.

It also helps a lot to be able to practice the skills in a controlled environment with someone to help you before using the suit out in the wild.

IOW
It is well worth the time and a little money to get good training on a dry suit. Once you are diving any dry suit you only need to go over the differences when changing to a new suit.

ask my stuipid ex-wife, master Insructor 1500 dives , right out of the water feet first from 70'. She thaought she could do anything, course is definitely a good idea.
Divereh

some shops offer them with each dry suit purchased, at mine it isincluded for free

fookisan:
I was told a diver needs a drysuit certification to use one. Is this true, or can an OW diver do the drysuit deal on their own with some pool practice?

Dan

Do you need a c-card? NO. anyone trying to tell you that you must have one is prolly trying to squeeze you for more $$$. give them a good kick in the junk.

Do you need instruction in proper drysuit usage? if you;re asking you prolly do. if you;re a fairly new diver it would be a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom