Drysuit boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detcord

Registered
Reaction score
My team just recently received several Hunter brand Pro HD 1500 dry suits. The boots for them seem to be big, as my feet are on the small side. I have been considering felt type boot liners for them, to take up room, but am concerned about what they might do to the buoyancy of the feet. Has anyone have any experience with this?

You actually want them to be a little big- gives you room for a thermal layer between them and your feet.

I like the wool hiking socks- still keeps some insulation even if they get damp.

If your feet get too buoyant you can use ankle weights or gaiters on your lower legs to reduce the air in that area.

And - Welcome to Scubaboard!

Fill out your profile a bit so we know who you are!

I might suggest looking on line outdoor sports instead of felt I use thinsulate bootie used for boots like Sorel liners. Dry faster and are warmer than felt.

TG

That's exactly what I was thinking about Horsediver. Do they affect your buoyancy or trim much? These dry suit boots are like Bozo the Clown feet for me, but a set of boot liners would work well.

Personally I think the major impacts of overly large boots are:

1. increased difficulty in finning, especially back kicking where some finesse is needed in terms of ankle movement, and
2. increased risk of having your feet pop out of the boot under water if you go into a feet up position.

Excessivley bouyant feet are a distant third in terms of concerns.

Actually by the time you have the fin on and the strap in place it's not an issue. Also because of the act of just walking compression has taken place. I haven't had any of the conerns mentioned happen with the liner your ankles have all the mobility needed.

TG

like tc said, ankle weights are your friend (and jet fins) to weight your feet down for whatever material you decide to use.

We don't worry about back fining so much in PSD but the ability to do strong, forward flutter kicks are a must. Fin keepers may be a good idea too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom