Drysuit Auto-Exhaust Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for your useful response. I don't think that the problem is the valve itself because some air comes out. Seems that I just need more practice and improve my skills with the dry suit.

Thanks again.

I used to have this problem. And it was down to technique.

Firstly make sure you weighted correctly with an near empty cylinder, certainly less than 50 Bar or reserve psi.
Secondly when you start your ascent open your exhaust fully. It's best to slightly close it during the dive or you will indeed get a wet arm.
Thirdly as you ascend dump air from your jacket. It is a slight leap of faith but as you ascend look down at your arm and you will see bubbles coming out of your exhaust. As your ascend air will find that exhaust without pushing the vent. If your are weighted correctly you will ascend in a controlled manner. Try it. If you feel yourself ascending to fast push the vent if you like, but there should be no need.
Weight and Confidence. It's a great feeling when it work's.
Ty.

I think you are on the right track. When I first started out, I had the same problem and even replaced my SiTech valve to no avail. It was technique....and experience.

I believe it is just practice, for example, if the shoulder/arm with the exaust valve is lower then the rest of the body, venting is not efficient. You may try also getting a little vertical (more like diagonal in the water) with the exaust valve higher and the other arm down (to avoid the air to get trapped there).

For adjustment I use when in the botton or going down I fully close the valve and return 2 clicks. When ascending I use it fuly open and take care to avoid air trap and sometime position my shoulder/arm where the valve is located higher then all the rest.

BTW, I use DUI, TLS350 and CF200x

Well I do use my suit (DUI CF200) for bouyancy and due to my build never liked the shoulder dump. I have always installed a wrist dump and love it. Provides more control and easier to get to.

Thanks to all for your useful response. I don't think that the problem is the valve itself because some air comes out. Seems that I just need more practice and improve my skills with the dry suit.

Thanks again.

The default shoulder dump position does not work out for everyone. If the dump is not at a high point and nearly horizontal when you raise your arm to vent consider having it moved so it will be. Or adding a cuff dump valve. Of course you can roll some to get the valve in the right position too but if you have to roll a lot moving the valve may be the better option.

I have a similar problem with my dump valve. I had an Apeks valve that just wouldn't dump. So I switch to a Sitech valve. It works a little better, but still not ideal. I wish the valves vented better/faster.

We all expect the air to dump easily and quickly. We're used to the BC valves that dump so easily when we push the button or pull the cord. But that's just not the case with the dry suit valves. It's not you, it's the valve. It takes a little practice to get used to it.

Even with my valve all the way open, I build up quite a bit of air in my sleeve before the air dumps. It doesn't matter what undergarments I'm wearing. It's frustrating, but I think it's the design of the valves. I've learned to anticipate and vent early and often to prevent any problems during ascents.

I've also found myself using a lot less air in the suit and tolerating a tighter squeeze. Less air in the suit means less air to dump later. The only times I use a lot of air in the suit is when the water is really cold (less than 50 degrees F) and I'm getting chilled, or when I'm really tired and the squeeze restricts my kicks.

I've also found myself using a lot less air in the suit and tolerating a tighter squeeze. Less air in the suit means less air to dump later. The only times I use a lot of air in the suit is when the water is really cold (less than 50 degrees F) and I'm getting chilled, or when I'm really tired and the squeeze restricts my kicks.

I have found just the opposite. Having a bit more air in the suit makes it much easier to burp a little as needed to retain the same squeeze throughout the dive.

Thanks again to all for this interesting discussion. I am going diving in Monterey this weekend so I will put the useful tips I received into practice :D

Thanks again to all for this interesting discussion. I am going diving in Monterey this weekend so I will put the useful tips I received into practice :D

Christophe,

You may already be doing this, but when you have the suit on, re-adjust your sleeve so the exhaust is higher on your tricep. This way, the auto dump is now at a high location. Most suits have the exhaust at the side of your arm, just twist the sleeve to re-position the valve :wink: Doesn't need to be straight up, but just play with it to see where a good position is for you. This should help a bit

Your hood should be here any day :wink: but I probably jinxed us again

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom