drymouth.. maybe found new solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I always get an incredibly dry mouth and throat while diving. I went to my dentist a few days ago and told them about it, and the dental hygenist told me she had gone to a conference and tried out something new which might help and gave me a sample!. What she gave me is something called 'xylimelts' which is a xylitol-filled mint that has a sticky side so it'll stick to your gums (xylitol helps you make more saliva). The packaging says it should stay put while you're sleeping, so I don't see why it should be too much a worry if you stick it in your mouth while you're diving (probably shouldn't be a choking hazard?). I'll give them a try when next I go for a dive (likely in a week) and post an update if it helped or not.

Here's a link to the website of the stuff XyliMelts for Dry Mouth- Mint Free- 120 discs | OraCoat.com

I always get an incredibly dry mouth and throat while diving. I went to my dentist a few days ago and told them about it, and the dental hygenist told me she had gone to a conference and tried out something new which might help and gave me a sample!. What she gave me is something called 'xylimelts' which is a xylitol-filled mint that has a sticky side so it'll stick to your gums (xylitol helps you make more saliva). The packaging says it should stay put while you're sleeping, so I don't see why it should be too much a worry if you stick it in your mouth while you're diving (probably shouldn't be a choking hazard?). I'll give them a try when next I go for a dive (likely in a week) and post an update if it helped or not.

Here's a link to the website of the stuff XyliMelts for Dry Mouth- Mint Free- 120 discs | OraCoat.com

BS solution. Mash a grape in your mouth and hold the bits between your cheek and gums - just like you used to hide gum from the teachers - or like a wad of chaw, same difference. Simple solution.

That said, I find a orange slice before and after the dive to do the trick for me better really...

We use Oasis Mouth Moisturizing Spray. Or a home brew version of 1/3 vegetable glycerin, 2/3 water, and a couple drops of mint extract.

Buy a rebreather :D

Maybe I'll try the Biotene stuff.. their mouthwash isn't bad.

Proper hydration is key... Rebreather works too.

Buy a rebreather :D

Can I borrow some $$? :D

---------- Post added March 16th, 2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

We use Oasis Mouth Moisturizing Spray. Or a home brew version of 1/3 vegetable glycerin, 2/3 water, and a couple drops of mint extract.

Maybe try this one too... I've got glycerin from pouring together some ear beer.

obviously make sure it's the kind of glycerin ok for consumption...

In the late 70's/early 80's, Farllon offered a first-stage attachment for this purpose. It screwed into the first stage and you attached the second to that (lengthening the hose length by 5"). You unscrewed a metal plug & o-ring and added distilled water. This increased the humidity of the incoming air and prevented dry-mouth. Of course this was only safe in warm water as it lead to rapid regulator icing in cold water. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom