Drying boots of flooded drysuit - solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys,
This thread is to share what solutions work when it comes to dry a drysuit which good flooded, and that has neoprene boots integrated in the suit.

So:
=> It's not about the bit of condensation or sweat which we all get in our drysuit when water is cold.
I am talking about a real flood, like you get a cup of water in the suit (bad wrist/neck movement, leak… or just a good wash) getting your feet really wet, and then you have to find ways to dry the suit.
So don't tell me I am just hanging the suit upside-down for 2 days will do the trick - it won't, if the suit's inside boots are really wet.
=> It's not about drysuits equipped with neoprene socks (for those you just turn the suit inside out), but about integrated boot with rubber soles or something like that.
Yes, I know some people still manage to turn these inside out applying lots of force, but this will damage the suit, not interested in that solution.

I've researched extensively through Scubaboard and found some good threads, so let me note here what I found interesting already - and I'd love those who posted originally to comment, say whether they're still happy with their solution, etc.

HangAir Drying system (Underwater Kinetics)
It has been mentioned in a few threads, for example here.
Some people mentioned it worked well but no much details.
Someone said it wasn't powerful enough to dry boots, but this dates back to 2011 and now I see UK are selling their 5th version of this dryer, so it might be more powerful now - anyone having success with this product?
Also, concerns were raised that it uses an electrical motor close to the neck seal, and as we know some electrical motors may damage latex seals if used nearby (related to ozone production I think). Someone said no problem in 2 years, I'd be keen to know if others can report in long-term impact on latex seals.

Peetdryer (a solution that dries any type of boots - not originally designed for scuba gear):
See here.
Product looks simple and efficient, but I have again the question about damage to latex seals -> can anyone report on how it affects the drysuit durability?
Also, does it get warm, hot enough to damage trilaminate fabrics?

Home-made / D.I.Y solutions
Some of us have been kindly shared some interesting DIY solutions and seemed happy with the results. Unfortunately the threads are old and the photos included in the posts are gone.
Can I ask you guys whether you're still happy with your designs, and if you could post photos again?

This one from RJP (dedicated thread in 2009):
The issue of how to dry a drysuit comes up often, and there are various approaches that are recommended. Everything from hanging, turning inside out, commercially made hangers (some with fans) to electric boot dryers rigged to take on a full drysuit.

Other folks prefer to take on the challenge themselves with a Home Depot credit card, a box saw, and a half-hour of spare time!

Here's my version of a home-made Drysuit Dryer. (I made it three years ago, but just decided to snap some pictures today.) Total cost: about $20 for PVC pipe, a DC fan, and a 12v adapter...

Everything is glued except for the two long "leg" pieces, which simply pop in/out of place. This makes putting the suit on the dryer quite easy as you can simply slide these two pieces into the suit and then mount the suit onto the rest of the dryer.

The fan is a DC brushless* "high flow" type from Radio Shack, coupled to a 12v DC adapter, attached to the "open" end of one of the feet of the dryer:
The fan is set to blow IN to the dryer. With the entire unit sealed, the only way for the air to move is up into the feet and out through the holes drilled into the ends of the leg pieces:
The air then travels down the legs, torso, and out through the open zipper carrying moisture out of the suit.

The fan is nearly silent, but moves a surprising amount of air. I set it up "blowing in" instead of "sucking out" to avoid pulling moist air through the fan. The front parts of the base are a bit longer than needed, as I over-estimated the potential for the thing to tip with a suit on it. The base is heavy enough to prevent tipping without the need for the added length.
I find that this dryer will dry my DUI TLS-350 Trilam drysuit w/Turbo soles overnight, even if it's completely wet from a good rinsing. (Which I do pretty often since it's so easy to dry it now!)

Was wondering if anyone from DUI had any thoughts on the advisabilty of using such a contraption?
* It's important to use a DC motor, ideally brushless, to avoid creation of ozone which will do a number on your suit's seals. AC fans and/or heat are to be avoided for sure!
I would love to see those photos and hear if the DUI drysuit coped well with this treatment over years!

Another one from Brendon:
That seems like a good idea just not practical. I have owned several drysuits over the years, currently using Northern Diver Front Zip Crushed Neoprene. I would say in almost all of my suits its the feet and lower legs that get wet and dry poorly. What I use is a small Duct Blower attached to flex pipe then attached to a "Y" PVC Pipe(drilled with lots of holes) down the legs of the dry suit. Forcing the air up and out of the suit. This works quickly, usually 15min or less. 1hr if completely wet from washing.
Again, would love to see if the suit coped well over time and photos if possible.

Help me clear my regrets to have switched to integrated boots :)

Cheers
Nicolas

Pvc pipe frame into both feet, notches cut for air flow. Blower below. Works.

(Viking suit with rubber sole boots with a propensity for people borrowing and subsequently flooding it catastrophically... To be fair, I've flooded it a handful myself as well)

Last edited:
I use the Dryguy base fan & heater element with the wader adapter, wader extensions and boot dryer accessories mounted at the top. I have a trilaminate DUI tls350 with turbo boots which get warm with the heat setting, but I usually switch-off the heating element after an hour and just fan blow cool ambient room air through the drysuit legs & boots for another hour -and then just a "touch-up" with hot air as needed for anything from the boots to the torso and arms that is still moist (or still wet after a full drysuit freshwater inside & outside soak & rinse).

DryGuy - FORCE DRY DX

Pvc pipe frame into both feet, notches cut for air flow. Blower below. Works.

(Viking suit with rubber sole boots with a propensity for people borrowing and subsequently flooding it catastrophically... To be fair, I've flooded it a handful myself as well)
Thanks Northernone! To be honest english isn’t my mother tongue, so cutting pvc pipie i understand (which diameter btw?) but i am not sure what notches are?
And what kind of blower do you use?
If you don’t mind taking a photo of your setup that’d be great.

I use the Dryguy base fan & heater element with the wader adapter, wader extensions and boot dryer accessories mounted at the top. I have a trilaminate DUI tls350 with turbo boots which get warm with the heat setting, but I usually switch-off the heating element after an hour and just fan blow cool ambient room air through the drysuit legs & boots for another hour -and then just a "touch-up" with hot air as needed for anything from the boots to the torso and arms that is still moist (or still wet after a full drysuit freshwater inside & outside soak & rinse).

DryGuy - FORCE DRY DX
Thanks Kevrumbo!
I’ll have to sit at home and browse this website, seems they have good stuff. When i click your link i get to a list of products, none called base fan - are you referring to the « simple dry » model, on which you connect the other pipes?

Thanks Northernone! To be honest english isn’t my mother tongue, so cutting pvc pipie i understand (which diameter btw?) but i am not sure what notches are?
And what kind of blower do you use?
If you don’t mind taking a photo of your setup that’d be great.

Thanks Kevrumbo!
I’ll have to sit at home and browse this website, seems they have good stuff. When i click your link i get to a list of products, none called base fan - are you referring to the « simple dry » model, on which you connect the other pipes?
I purchased six years ago an earlier model version of the present Force Dry Dx model, with the accessory pipes. In other words, select the current base model that has the switchable blower hot air fan heating element to blower cool ambient fan air feature -or use this as an example to make & fabricate your own pvc pipe dryer as suggested by @northernone.

unfortunatelly old photos was gone, but I found some stored in my PC, I do not know where I take it, but idea will be the same:
8684768aad94.jpg

4ba50980815b.jpg

d2935e2356c1.jpg

I purchased six years ago an earlier model version of the present Force Dry Dx model, with the accessory pipes. In other words, select the current base model that has the switchable blower hot air fan heating element to blower cool ambient fan air feature -or use this as an example to make & fabricate your own pvc pipe dryer as suggested by @northernone.
Thanks Kevrumbo. Looks like a workable solution.
I've checked at the accessories on their website and i understand you're stacking wader adapter and wader extensions on top of the base dryer, to get the system tall enough. However i am not sure why you're buying the boot dryer accessory: can't you reuse the 2 boot dryers PVC pieces which seem to be included with the base dryer?
Could you also clarify how long it would take with this system to fully dry the inside of the boots after a full drysuit wash? If i understood well your first reply, 2 hours is for bit of moist but not a full rince?

unfortunatelly old photos was gone, but I found some stored in my PC, I do not know where I take it, but idea will be the same:
View attachment 453764
View attachment 453765
View attachment 453766
Thanks mate! It looks like a very well designed setup. I guess the large grey PVC pipes also serve as hanger when suit is up?
How do you connect the 2 small hoses to the main pipe, to make sure all the air blown goes there as opposed to lost on the sides?
How long to dry the drysuit boots when very wet?

Thanks Kevrumbo. Looks like a workable solution.
I've checked at the accessories on their website and i understand you're stacking wader adapter and wader extensions on top of the base dryer, to get the system tall enough. However i am not sure why you're buying the boot dryer accessory: can't you reuse the 2 boot dryers PVC pieces which seem to be included with the base dryer?
Could you also clarify how long it would take with this system to fully dry the inside of the boots after a full drysuit wash? If i understood well your first reply, 2 hours is for bit of moist but not a full rince?
The original unit I purchased six years ago was an earlier base two-tube selectable fan heater/ambient air model in which the wader extension & boot dryer accessory was included -the extension tubes were separate and optionally ordered additions. For a completely immersed and soaked trilaminate DUI TLS350, it will take an initial full length upside down hang on a clothes line of at least an hour to drip drain excess water from the external & internal surfaces, then adjust the placement the drysuit over the dryer to evaporate the remaining water & moisture in the boots, legs, torso and arms for however long it takes -for me it was about two hours.

Thanks mate! It looks like a very well designed setup. I guess the large grey PVC pipes also serve as hanger when suit is up?
How do you connect the 2 small hoses to the main pipe, to make sure all the air blown goes there as opposed to lost on the sides?
How long to dry the drysuit boots when very wet?
not ME - I just found somewere and stored.
I suspect yes, large grey tubes is same as тремпель (hanger). It is also nice due to the big diameter - it prevents from zipper sharp bend.
Grey pipe sides is covered by blanking covers.
I do not know, i did not use such devices, I use more simple way - just turning inside out :)

Neoprene is not a friend of ozone. Ozone is produced by the sparks of the DC electric motors. The electric motor to be used to blow air should be of the squirrel cage type (ac motors) brushless.
I did a boots and gloves dryer following a similar idea posted here in SB in the DIY Forum. Only forcing ambient air to the inside. No air heating.
There is also a hanger with a blower https://www.amazon.com/UK-HANGAIR-Wetsuit-Dryer/dp/B07795J8LH but it's designed for weitsuits.

Back
Top Bottom