Dry Suit undergarment in the red sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I plan to go for a week on April in the red sea (Marsa Shagra) with a dry suit white bullet to practice the use of the dry suit. I wonder if some of you have advice on the undergament to use. I was looking at 4th element but cannot make a real choice.

I could only imagine how warm you get diving tropical in a Fusion. I know people here in the Pacific Northwest that dive with the 4th element, and they say it's toasty. It may just be too warm for you in warm waters.

I own a Fusion, and I dove dry throughout my last trip to the Red Sea. When the water was about 80, I used a Diving Concepts base layer and a set of Lands End Polarfleece sweats. When the water got up to 86, I just used the base layer.

To the OP,

You'll only need a 4th Element Xerotherm base layer assuming your dives are recreational. I'd recommend the Xerotherm because it can be used both with a drysui, drysuit + undersuit and a wetsuit if need be - it's quite flexible, is easy to wash (and dry) and light to carry as hand luggage.

My avatar is from a trip to the Red Sea last year - I just used a Xerotherm and my suit was leaking so I think you'll be ok with just the base layer.

I plan to go for a week on April in the red sea (Marsa Shagra) with a dry suit white bullet to practice the use of the dry suit. I wonder if some of you have advice on the undergament to use. I was looking at 4th element but cannot make a real choice.

I can't remember 100% sure what the water temps are in Shagra in April but I'm going to say be prepared for 25C.

What I found is that a light fleece jogging suit something along the line of the 4th element xerotherm was more than enough to keep me warm in a shell suit for 4 dives a day. If you get cold easily you can get away with the mid-layer undergarment if you're not too active during the dives. Bring a light sweater or a set of thermal underwear for the night dives.

R..

By the way, here's a tip if you haven't been there before. Don't just sit around and drink beer on your last day there. You can take a fabulous 1/2 day tour around in the desert on a quad-bike which is a real highlight. Don't miss that.

Thanks to all of you for these tips. I think I am gonna look at the Xerotherm and the MK0.
I've been to shagra already but didn't do the quad tour. Thanks for that Diver0001.

Back
Top Bottom