Dry suit styles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

I had this conversation with my wife and we couldn't work out the reason. In the US, it seems that 90% of dry suit divers use a shell suit. In the UK I've seen mostly neoprene and a smaller proportion of crushed neoprene. In all the pictures I see form my old BSAC branch, everyone who is diving dry has a neoprene suit. I'm just curious if shell suits are available in the UK and if so, why they aren't as popular.

Thanks!

Crushed neo and membrane suits are widely available and much in use in the UK (and all EU). They are way better than standard neoprene. As to the example, I believe some BSAC divers still use horseshoe collars - this is not representative of the UK as a whole, just the fossils...(or maybe they are very old photos and no-one has updated the website since 1963?)

Chris

chrisch:
Crushed neo and membrane suits are widely available and much in use in the UK (and all EU). They are way better than standard neoprene. As to the example, I believe some BSAC divers still use horseshoe collars - this is not representative of the UK as a whole, just the fossils...(or maybe they are very old photos and no-one has updated the website since 1963?)

Chris
I resemble that horse shoe collar, same for the single 2nd stage, the 12 inch knife and black mask! Well I did once. The pictures are certainley recent and I know that 10 years ago these people didn't dive dry. Just wondered why they would go for that style. Maybe it's a cost thing. I always thought the crushed neoprene seemed preferable to reduce the nip you can get with the shell/membrane suit.

The main advantage of crushed neo/membrane is bouyancy. They don't cost much more and are very popular in the UK. Ordinary neoprene is somewhat unusual.

Chris

I see roughly an even split of membrane and neoprene dry suits.

Having owned 2 membranes i can safely say my next suit is going to be a neoprene suit with latex seals though. I definately prefer neoprene (compressed or crushed anyway) to the shell style for various reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom