Dry Suit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm getting a Dry Suit!
Here are a few quiestions I could use some help with first.

Can you use a weight integrated BC with Dry Suits?

What is trim?

If it's a warm day, does it get unbearably hot top side?

Does it ever get too hot in the suit while in the water?

This may sound like a odd question but does it feel wierd the first few times to be in a dry suit while in the water?

Thank you for any help!

The BC will work.

Trim is the attitude of your body in water (head up, feet up, horizontal, vertical).

You can overheat easily in warm weather.

You can overdress for warm water.

It feels different than a wetsuit.

Yes. It may create problem related to your next question, however.

What is trim?
Adjusting weighting and bouyany so as to establish a naturally stable orientation on three axes.

Yes, it can. Plan ahead and don't dawdle.

Yes, it can. Unlike a wetsuit, you can't pull the collar open and flush, you have to plan ahead. Fortunately, you can adjust the underwear you have on. Shell suits are less problematic than others.

Does it feel wierd the first few times to be in a dry suit while in the water?
Yes, but more than weird, until you master the skills needed to dive safely in a drysuit you should stick very close to a buddy and stay out of deep water.

Thank you for the help!

I was looking at the crushed neoprene suits specifically the DUI CF 200. I think I would like it because if I have read right, I wont need as much insulation. That apeals to me.

CALI68:

Yes. I tried my Oceanic Probe with my drysuit. It works fine. I prefer my bp/harness/wing though for comfort and mobility.

CALI68:

Put your legs in and use the suspenders to keep the top half off the deck. You'll learn when to finish suiting up so that you get in the water right away. Usually right before the DM takes the anchor down. If all your other gear is ready, you just finish donning the suit and slide into your rig.

CALI68:

I wear moisture wicking thin long underwear for water temps above 70 deg. For water temps under 70, I layer light, med, or heavy fleece depending on temps.

CALI68:
This may sound like a odd question but does it feel wierd the first few times to be in a dry suit while in the water?

There are no odd or dumb questions. The squeeze is what makes it feel different. Just a shot of air will take the pressure off. You'll do this every so often on the descent to keep comfortable. The mistake I made when I first starting diving dry was overinflating the suit. Don't try to eliminate the squeeze completely. Just make it comfortable. You want as little air in your suit as you need; otherwise, it will act as a BC and be difficult to maneuver underwater. You don't want so much air that when you move your body you get air shift or air vent out your seals. The squeeze will feel weird at first, but you'll get used to it after a few shallow practice dives.

Hope this helps. I hate being cold underwater. Diving dry makes repetitive dives much more comfortable, since your core temp stays higher. I switch back to wet at about 74 deg.

Back
Top Bottom