Dry Suit or Tanks

Next Big Purchase should be

• Tanks

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • Dry Suit

Votes: 100 89.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScouterJT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I already have a BC, regulator (and backup for an eventual pony), and computer -- am thinking that my next big purchase would be tanks or a dry suit -- budget won't allow for both right now, which should I get? tanks or a dry suit?

Ya can rent tanks all year long . . .
. . . can ya dive all year long with your current thermal protection????

the K-old Water Hater

Drysuit. Tanks are tanks, if you're renting then one tank will be the same as another and having your own isn't going to make that much of a difference. Owning your own drysuit however will keep you dryer and allow you to fine tune your bouyancy. Also... unless you're getting free airfills it generally doesn't make that much sense to get your own tanks.

Suit first...better to be comfortable than to have your own tank and be freezing. You can rent the tank...not sure I would EVER want to rent a used suit!!!

Also, you MUST go to the dive shop to fill your own tanks anyway...so you don't save a trip. Using $4 a fill, if a tank costs $250 you could get you 62 re-fills for the same money. Your cost may vary....but the point is the same.

I am not saying "don't buy a tank"; I am just choosing between the two choices based on only affording one.

That having been said, you might also consider a mask and fins...they come in handy when diving.:wink:

Unless you are diving doubles you can always rent a tank that will work, but your own dry suit that fits perfectly cant can't be beat.

Drysuit. Your in Jersey for cryin out loud.

tanks later.

ScouterJT:
I already have a BC, regulator (and backup for an eventual pony), and computer -- am thinking that my next big purchase would be tanks or a dry suit -- budget won't allow for both right now, which should I get? tanks or a dry suit?
There's someone around here (Scubaboard) selling used AL80s (in hydro) for $60. He's in North Jersey, like you. Search. Buy one. Then buy the drysuit. Steel doubles and a pony are nice for later, but one AL80 behind the living room couch means you can go diving when the mood strikes, not when the LDS opens. You can have it all! (sorta).

Buying tanks really isn't economically worthwhile unless you dive a lot. Around here you can rent for $6 and fill for $5. So you only save a dollar a dive, which for some people is offset by the cost of VIP and hydro.

But, and this is a really big but, you are paying for convenience. All of you renters have no idea how convenient it is to own your own tanks. Once you own everything, you don't need a dive shop to go diving. Just load up your crap and go. If the weather turns crappy, then you can cancel without wasting a rental. If you get a wild hair andwant to go diving at 3AM on a Sunday morning, then just go. Actually, I hate diving with friends who don't own their tanks because it's such a PITA to get to an open dive shop sometimes.

Once you own, the only time you need a dive shop is to get a fill once your tank is empty. And you have all week to deal with that.

Get the dry suit and a couple used AL-80s. Trust me, you will be glad you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom