Dry suit inflator squirting water in on inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nickorossa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I have a Northern Diver dry suit with V-Tech dump and inflation valve. The inflation value has a standard fitting.

On inflation I can feel a small quirt of water coming in. Its nothing major and I can live with it especially in the summer; but was wondering what the cause may be.

Thanks.

Nick.

Just a guess but likely the water is already there and you feel it when you put air in.

On first inflation or every? If you disconnect and then connect the inflator under water it will have filled with water and that will get pushed in the next time you use it. Typically this might be after using that inflator hose for shooting an SMB... Otherwise I'm not sure. It ought to be waterproof once connected and in normal use...

It happens every inflation, not that I inflate a lot once under water

Hose not disconected in between, so it shouldn't be getting water in the connector. I use the same hose with my O'Three dry suit and don't have the issue.

It feels like getting a little sqirt from a kids water pistol; i.e. a small jet of water. Probably only noticable, because the UK waters are so cold at the moment.

It happens every inflation, not that I inflate a lot once under water

Hose not disconected in between, so it shouldn't be getting water in the connector. I use the same hose with my O'Three dry suit and don't have the issue.

It feels like getting a little sqirt from a kids water pistol; i.e. a small jet of water. Probably only noticable, because the UK waters are so cold at the moment.
You may have a tiny leak, water will tend to migrate to the front of the suit if a neck area leak is responsible but maybe a leak test is in order.

Maybe, but it feels like a squirt of water on inflation. Around the neck and such the suit was completely dry as was my undersuit.

Next time I use the suit I'll try and narrow down the cause some more and will chck to make sure the valve is tight etc.

I may also steal my daughters dry suit hose and try that with it too.

Thanks.

If you are completely dry it likely just the cold air hitting you when you add air, does your O3 have a cover on the inside of the inflator or are they designed differently?

Water is not getting in through the lpi hose. It is under pressure and impossible for water to enter.
Water may be leaking from around the valve and being pushed/spread when inflating

First thought, a shot of compressed air will feel cold/wet against the skin. That is why many drysuits have a flap over the inflator. To distribute the air so you don't get a localized shot of air against the body.

If you are actually getting wet it would have to be an unpressurized seal in the inflator. Since any pressurized seals would be leaking air out (air being at a higher pressure than the surrounding water). I don't know that inflator enough to tell what seal it may be or if one even exists.

Unscrew valve from suit. Clean Rubber Backing Patches and valve mating surfaces. Reassemble. 🕴️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom