Dry suit inflator hose cap or plug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard that there is a cap or plug that can be used to seal off the end of a dry suit inflator hose when diving wet. I do not wish to remove my inflator hose every time I switch from diving dry to wet. Has anyone heard of where, or if, this plug is available.

Thanks in advance.

There's no reason.. the hose is self-sealing. If it weren't, the 120+ psi of air in the hose itself would escape :wink:

The hose is a female connection. I would like to have something that would seal it from the surrounding environment.

It is sealed. That hose has over 100 psi of air pressure inside of it. What do you think is keeping it in there?

The idea is akin to keeping your octo in a sealed bag underwater because you're not using it. There is a valve in your octo that is closed when not being used, the same as there is a valve in the drysuit inflator hose that is closed when it's not hooked up.

I am not concerned about anything getting out. I am concenred about somethinhg getting inside that may be difficult to clean out. This connection is similar to that of a quick connect on an air hose. When foreign particles, mainly sand, get inside the female end of the quick connect it can be rather difficult to remove.

I was not wondering if you thought this was a good idea or not. I wanted to know if anyone knew where to get this cap or plug.

look here

They will have something, but it's really not necessary.

Keep in mind that the knurled sleeve, and the 3-4 ball bearings is what actually gets jammed. Plugging the end of the hole won't protect this part.

Regards,

Tobin

I've never seen such a cap being sold. Perhap some BCDs get shipped with a dust cap over the inflator hose that is usually included. If so, you might get your LDS to give you one that's left over after they put the hose on a reg for a new BCD customer.

Good luck.

Since the topside of the knurled sleeve is open, you’re still going to get water and even silt inside the connector and you’ll have to take the cap off to clean inside it when you’re done anyway. My dry suit connector probably has 50 dives on it unplugged since I moved to warm water and other than rinsing it off after a dive, I put food grade silicone on it once when it felt a little stiff.

Shouldn't really be an issue but you could go to a hardware store and buy a rubber cap. Smaller ones are available for wire wire shelf ends but I know they make them big enough for your inflator house.

Also a good idea about the LDS. My BC inflator hose came with a cap on it, not that I use it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom