Dry suit care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Just curious I recently purchased a OS Systems dry suit, used but in almost new condition. The guy I bought it from had the seals powdered. OS Systems recommend you spray the seals with silicone and store. But I've read elsewhere that powdering them with Talc powder will keep them good. I'm inclined to go with the manufacturers directions, just wondering if anyone has any input into why I would not want to follow the manufacturers directions or why one way may be better. I know I've read on other dry suit sites that you should not use silicone, but OS definitively recommends it.
Thanks
David

DavidHickey:
Just curious I recently purchased a OS Systems dry suit, used but in almost new condition. The guy I bought it from had the seals powdered. OS Systems recommend you spray the seals with silicone and store. But I've read elsewhere that powdering them with Talc powder will keep them good. I'm inclined to go with the manufacturers directions, just wondering if anyone has any input into why I would not want to follow the manufacturers directions or why one way may be better. I know I've read on other dry suit sites that you should not use silicone, but OS definitively recommends it.
Thanks
David

Spray silicone keeps the rubber from deteriorating and drying out and cracking over time. You get a little bit more life out of your latex seals. Also keeps them suppel, stretchy if you will. Now talc use it to get into the suit. Powder up the seals and your hands slip right through the seal supper easy. You can also use the spray silicone to get your hands through your seal too, but I think that the talc works a bit better for that sort of thing. You can also use kay-y jelly, don't use baby powder or anything else that has any kinds of sent to it. The sented stuff kills latex seals real fast. Wow I didn't know there was all that much to say about seals, untill I seen how much there was writen down here.

I use the talc method (DUI recommends this). I have friends that use the silicone and seem to like it. My worry with the silicone is that if you get a little crazy with it (use to much) it will soak into the suit around the seals, and the next time you go to have the seals replaced the glue won't stick to the silicone impregnated suit material. Drysuits are expensive to buy and to repair. I tend to be cautious with mine. A good wash with baby shampoo on the inside of the suit and the seals a few times a year also helps to remove oils and sweat, helping the seals to last longer. Good luck!

Matt

I will talc the seals as soon as they are dry as it does protect them during storage and makes donning the suit much easier and eliminates much of the stress that would otherwise be placed on the seals. Donning the suit is the time when the seals are most likely to fail, which needless to say ruins your dive, so the more care taken getting them on the better.

I have used silicone in the past but share the concern that it can make it very difficult to get a new seal to stick. If you use silicone, forget the spray part and wipe it on the seal with a small cloth or cotton ball so you can control where it goes and then be sure to stop a little short of the nylon tape covering the seal/suit joint.

I use McNett UV Tech on my seals. I don't spray it on my suit. I spray it onto a sponge and then wipe down the seals with it. After this, you can talc them if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom