Dry mouth from snorkel/regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When using a snorkel or a regulator, my mouth and throat slowly dry out over about 15 minutes. With the mouthpiece jammed in my mouth, it is hard for me to do normal methods to remoisturize my mouth / throat with saliva.

I find I need to take the mouthpiece out, and then spend a few seconds getting my mouth moist again the way I normally do with my mouth closed, then jam the regulator back in.

You're not supposed to drink impure lake / ocean water, but if your mouth is has become so dry that you feel like you need to vomit, well, a few plankton shouldn't hurt?

I don't know of a solution to this, aside from some sort of humidification attachment that leaks water into the mouthpiece to moisturize the dry air.

A full face mask should help your situation. However, with this new gear comes reevaluating your rig as well as new safety and emergency techniques to practice.

I have the same issue about every 20 min. I find that if I drink tons of water before I dive then that tends to help, probably because most people I know just don't drink enough water to stay extremely hydrated.

Stay hydrated and much of that will go away as was already said. I've not had issues with snorkeling but SCUBA yes. Not uncommon to down 20 oz of water immediately after getting out and before a dive day.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate. I drink a boat load of water and always have, 1. Because it keeps my mouth moist. 2. It is good for your body. 3. I love to pee through my pee valve when my buddy has not gotten his valve yet. Pisses him off. :)

I guess swishing your mouth with whatever water you're diving in may help? I haven't had dry mouth, so don't know for sure. I have taken salt water in my mouth (just for fun & spit it out) my whole life with no problems from stuff in the ocean. Not sure if I'd do that in a lake, especially a small one.

Back
Top Bottom