Dry Gloves - Ultima vs Kubi systems over latex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't seem yo find the 90's in the US, only the 3's.

Contact Dive Zone Scuba in Houston Texas....they had a few sets of the Rolock 90 ring system in stock last time I was there (Sep/Oct 2021).

-Z

Does it have to be one of those two? Have you considered pullover gloves and Viking rings?

Viking rings can be installed in any dry suit, either permanently (glue the rings to the sleeves), or just put them on non-permanently (they just fit over the sleeves, trapping the material between two rings).

I definitely recommend getting them glued in. That means that if you tear a wrist seal, you can just pop a new one in in a few minutes.

Then you pull those "dishwasher" style gloves over the rings ($13). Have been using this system for years - I almost always dive wet, but it's nice to have the option. MUCH simpler than any locking ring system, very reliable. And if you ever tear a glove, just pull another one out of your bag and you are good to go.

Here's what you need:

Viking Cuff Ring Set | Dive Rescue International

Super Grip Black Dry Glove

And of course, some sort of glove liner. These are awesome.

G1 Glove Liner - Fourth Element
I have some questions about this system! I've never used dry gloves or ring systems, so I'm having trouble imagining it.

If you glue the rings into the sleeves of your drysuit, do you have the option of diving either with regular wrist seals or the dry gloves? are silicone seals also an option, or just latex?

I do almost all of my diving in a drysuit, with a maximum temperature at my local sites of about 22 degrees. Usual temperature is around 18, with the shoulder seasons ranging from 12-15. When we dive in the winter, which is rare due to the ocean conditions, it's between 7-10 degrees. I can handle most of the year with 5 mm wet gloves, but it would be nice to have the option to use dry gloves if it was necessary. Given it'd probably only be a maximum of 6ish dives per year, I'm balking at spending 300-400 dollars for a system I'd rarely take advantage of. This seems like a potentially beneficial option for me.

With, for example, Si tech oval PU rings glued in the sleeves of your suit you have many options, 1. Silicone seals, 2. latex seals, 3 ultima dry glove system, 4. RoLock dry glove system, 5. Si tech Antaries, 6. Si tech Virgo, and probably others, these all retain the wrist seals so you can dive without dry gloves if you choose.

I have some questions about this system! I've never used dry gloves or ring systems, so I'm having trouble imagining it.

If you glue the rings into the sleeves of your drysuit, do you have the option of diving either with regular wrist seals or the dry gloves? are silicone seals also an option, or just latex?

I don't see why you couldn't put any wrist seal you like in there - I have only used latex, but if you glue the rings in (which is what I did), then it just traps the seal between the two rings.
I do almost all of my diving in a drysuit, with a maximum temperature at my local sites of about 22 degrees. Usual temperature is around 18, with the shoulder seasons ranging from 12-15. When we dive in the winter, which is rare due to the ocean conditions, it's between 7-10 degrees. I can handle most of the year with 5 mm wet gloves, but it would be nice to have the option to use dry gloves if it was necessary. Given it'd probably only be a maximum of 6ish dives per year, I'm balking at spending 300-400 dollars for a system I'd rarely take advantage of. This seems like a potentially beneficial option for me.

Yup, I think so! And that's exactly what I do. I almost always use wet gloves, plenty warm enough for most situations. But in Newfoundland next month, it will be nice to have the option of diving dry gloves.

I wouldn't glue the rings in yourself, unless you have a lot of experience working on dry suits. You basically make a choice:

1) Wrist seals are glued to the suit, rings are non-permanently attached to the sleeves.

Advantages - easy to do yourself, and if you really don't like the system for some reason, just take it off, you are only out the cost of the rings, which isn't much. You might even be able to find a set used - since they are a standard size, not hard to do. And If you don't like it, you can just give the rings to someone else (or sell them), and use the gloves for washing pots and pans.

Disadvantages - If you rip a wrist seal, you are done diving until you can get a shop to repair it.

2) Ring glued to the suit, wrist seal trapped between the two rings.

Advantages - if you rip a seal (common), you just grab another one and pop it in, 5 minutes. My preferred approach.

In either case, the rings provide the bulk that lets you pull those cheap pullover gloves on and they stay on during the dive. No fancy connectors or proprietary latch mechanisms. No expensive bayonet devices that often jam or require assistance to don and doff.

And if you tear a glove (very common in wreck diving), you can just throw it away and grab a ($13) replacement from your bag. Don't need anything special with a dedicated connector mechanism.

Here's a video for method 1. I prefer method 2.

Have had Kubis for the past 7 years on my membrane drysuit. Works well with drygloves or wetgloves in warmer water. Very quick and easy to change the seals and drygloves - 2 mins -- takes longer to find the new seals in my bag.

Have had the suit serviced a couple of years ago to fix the cuffs. Now have some neoprene which stops the wear.

Predator cuffs - Dec 20.jpg

Very happy to recommend them. They're very strong, simple to use and am particularly happy that they don't leak even if the drygloves do occasionally get holes in them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom