Dry Gloves Pros? Cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm tired of my fingers being numb after a Dive, and am considering Dry Gloves. I have a White's Catalyst SE Drysuit and understand that Dry Gloves are easy to attach to the suit.

Will there be a loss of Dexterity?

Is there more of a Leak potential?

Anything else I should consider? Or is it a No Brainer?

Thanks

Dry gloves are a big improvement over wet gloves for cold water diving. I've found that I actually have better dexterity with my dry gloves than I ever did with wet gloves, and I stay a lot warmer during the dives. You do have to be more concerned about flooding, though - if you rip your glove, you're almost certainly going to get wet. That said, I haven't really found it to be a problem. Attaching them to your suit with the Si-Tech quick clamps is easy too, although I often think I'd be happier with the glue-on cuffs (makes wrist seal replacement easier.)

As for cons, can be bulky and a lot of them are an absolute PITA to don or self don.

Some of the o-ring based systems dont hold the glove too securely either.

I highly recommend dry gloves. With a proper system, you can vary the gloves to suit the conditions. I use the viking ring system on my Bare tri-lam. My hands are never uncomfortable. I can pick up a quarter with them on. easily.

You will definitely loose dexterity with dry gloves but it is something you get used to and it's worth it for the comfort and safety.

You risk flooding your suit from a tear in the gloves just as would be the case on any other part of your suit. However, you can opt for a wrist seal between the glove and suit to prevent a full flood should you rip a hole in your glove. With this setup, you need to place a tube to allow air flow between suit and gloves. I personally prefer to have an open wrist for free air movement. I use the Diving Concepts snap ring system and I love it. I don't care for the glove systems that require you to cinch part of the cuff.

Once I went to dry gloves, I wondered why I ever dove with wet gloves. (As was the case when I switched from a wetsuit to a drysuit).

--Matt

For what it's worth. I have a 7mm drysuit with neoprene seals. I'm wearing Bare 5mm Gauntlet gloves. I was perfectly comfortable for back to back 40 minute dives in 40F water this weekend. Depth was 30-40 feet.

I have yet to go deeper/colderl/longer but it was encouraging.

pete

matt_unique:
However, you can opt for a wrist seal between the glove and suit to prevent a full flood should you rip a hole in your glove. With this setup, you need to place a tube to allow air flow between suit and gloves.
--Matt
You don't need a tube, the gloves work just fine without air in them. I have a thick pair of winter thinsulate shooting gloves that I wear under my dry gloves. They keep my hands toasty and I don't notice the compression of the gloves as I descend. The fit of the gloves has a lot to do with dexterity loss but you don't lose as much dexterity with dry gloves as you do with cold wet hands.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
You don't need a tube, the gloves work just fine without air in them. I have a thick pair of winter thinsulate shooting gloves that I wear under my dry gloves. They keep my hands toasty and I don't notice the compression of the gloves as I descend. The fit of the gloves has a lot to do with dexterity loss but you don't lose as much dexterity with dry gloves as you do with cold wet hands.

I should clarify and say you need way to allow air to pass between glove and suit otherwise you would experience hand squeeze. Most people require a hose to allow the air to pass. Some people can get air passage by bending their wrist.

I'm a huge fan of dry gloves to be sure. I would never again dive with wet gloves. The dexterity loss is mitigated with practice and it's definitely better than the dexterity loss from cold wet hands.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I should clarify and say you need way to allow air to pass between glove and suit otherwise you would experience hand squeeze. Most people require a hose to allow the air to pass. Some people can get air passage by bending their wrist.

--Matt

Our group wears the same type of gloves and is split about 50/50 with some having the tube to let air into the glove and some of us don't. There is enough air in my glove when I don it that I don't need tubes and I don't experience hand squeeze (only worn them to 135'). The glove compresses but my liner protects my hands and I actually get more dexterity as the air in the glove compresses. If my glove gets ripped I still have my wrist seal intact and only my hand gets wet, air does not pass into my glove when I move my wrist. I don't want to compromise my wrist seal by running a tube through it, I've already had enough wet dives in that drysuit (due to neck seal being too large) to last a lifetime :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom