Dry glove system for Santi smart seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MasterMindDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Scubaboard,
i just got my new Santi Emotion+ with smart seals .. but I wonder which dry glove system I shall use ?
I appreciate if you can share with me your thoughts/experience in that..
I am not sure if I need to get the magic ring ? or just stretch the latex gloves on top of the smart seals (looks to consume much effort doing it on my own) .. not sure if it is secure ...
attaching it directly/permanently to the suit will not work for me ..
Regards

congrats on your new suit! Beat me to it by a couple days...what colors did you get??

Since mine is in transit as we speak, I dont have any first *hand* experience but, after some research I found that you can use a dry glove in lieu of the seal itself. You can see images of it being done here, and a video of installing the smart seal here. The biggest issue i see with this method is that if you get a hole in your glove during a dive, theres no seal to stop the suit from flooding. Not sure how common it is to tear a hole big enough to cause water to gush in, so maybe someone could share their experience on that.

As for installing the system after donning the suit, I could see it being done with one hand folding the ring on the glove, and the other hand inside the sleeve pushing the ring into place. The opposite hand would be a little harder though since it will have thick gloves on it, but maybe with some practice it could be done easily? Well, those are my thoughts! Hopefully someone has a better solution.

congrats on your new suit! Beat me to it by a couple days...what colors did you get??

Since mine is in transit as we speak, I dont have any first *hand* experience but, after some research I found that you can use a dry glove in lieu of the seal itself. You can see images of it being done here, and a video of installing the smart seal here. The biggest issue i see with this method is that if you get a hole in your glove during a dive, theres no seal to stop the suit from flooding. Not sure how common it is to tear a hole big enough to cause water to gush in, so maybe someone could share their experience on that.

As for installing the system after donning the suit, I could see it being done with one hand folding the ring on the glove, and the other hand inside the sleeve pushing the ring into place. The opposite hand would be a little harder though since it will have thick gloves on it, but maybe with some practice it could be done easily? Well, those are my thoughts! Hopefully someone has a better solution.

thanks chubadoodman for the reply ..
actually I got that one :)
upload_2017-3-4_13-13-24.png

putting the gloves in lieu of the seal will not work for me , I will be helping other students and will put the gloves at the end after making sure everyone is wearing the gears correctly.

i checked with a dive shop and they told me that is the only option available for the time being .. and Santi is planning to release a dry glove system for smart seals .. not sure when that will happen..

also I checked KUBIstore.com , seems to be nice ring system .. but not sure if it is going to fit properly .. i think it may work .. but will need first to get the wrist seal out of the smart seal and install kubi .. then re-install the seal back inside smart seals.. but i believe it will be so hard re-installing the wrist seal again :D ...

i am thinking to wait .. as kubi is expensive and it is not straight forward in installing it in smart seal.

wish you enjoy your new suit .. and have safe diving.

I'm afraid I can't answer your specific question re what will work but if KUBI's will work I'd recommend them, I've been using them on my "standard" Santi for over three years and not one issue, zero leaks.

(Snip) if KUBI's will work I'd recommend them, I've been using them on my "standard" Santi for over three years and not one issue, zero leaks.

Can I ask you a question regarding the Kubi system.

Are you at all concerned with, or have you experienced any issues with the amount of stretch the latex seal is under at the suit cuff with the inner ring installed?

I bought the system (90mm) and was quite surprised by how much you need to stretch the seal to install the ring.
I have not installed the system on my new Santi yet, fearing It will dramatically shorten the seal life, or at least increase the chance of a rip if the seal is contacted above the ring (suit side).

Thanks,
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I used the 80mm rings and although they do stretch the seal, which initially caused some concern, I'm now into my 4th season using them and they haven't torn. I take good care of the seals with talc and every couple of months apply Mcnetts (?) seal saver. I also use lube to assist in removing suit. I can see very small surface tears where the ring is sitting but so far so good. I've no doubt using the rings will shorten the life of the seals but by how much I can't say. I'm going to get the KUBI Fitted system when my current fixed seals tear. With the fitted system you can replace seals in the field similar to the Sitech system. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi buddhasummer,

Very informative, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the system after four seasons of use.

Thanks,

Hello all,
Just had a phone call with a dive shop and they confirmed that either KUBI or MAGIC RING will be very bulky in case i managed to install them .. and it will be very difficult to twist your wrist .. so the only options are either stretch the gloves on top of the smart seals .. or have it permanently installed instead of the wrist seals

also I checked KUBIstore.com , seems to be nice ring system .. but not sure if it is going to fit properly .. i think it may work .. but will need first to get the wrist seal out of the smart seal and install kubi .. then re-install the seal back inside smart seals.. but i believe it will be so hard re-installing the wrist seal again :D ...

Have you found a dry glove system yet? I just ordered the Kubi complete system in the 80mm size. Since we literally have the same suit, ill let you know how it turns out once I receive them. Hopefully they fit and not too bulky with the smart seals.....

edit: oops, somehow missed your post with that update! Well, ill let you know how mine go anyways since they are ordered already.

Last edited:
Have you found a dry glove system yet? I just ordered the Kubi complete system in the 80mm size. Since we literally have the same suit, ill let you know how it turns out once I receive them. Hopefully they fit and not too bulky with the smart seals.....

edit: oops, somehow missed your post with that update! Well, ill let you know how mine go anyways since they are ordered already.
@chubadoodman , thanks :) .. will be waiting to hear from you about these rings, real experience my differ than a phone call.
Actually I went diving using pull over dry gloves .. it took me like 5 minutes to pull them over the first time :) .. but they seal very well just in case the ring did not fit properly.
have a great weekend.

Back
Top Bottom