Dry Box Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a lot of questions... but I can't dive so I have nothing better to do than sit around and think about it.

Anyway, does anyone have any good suggestions for a dry box to store mask/fin straps, o-rings, medication, etc... I've seen some at dive shops but I don't really feel like spending $20+ on a stupid little plastic box that couldn't even hold a pop can.

I'm sure some of you have some pretty creative ideas, you haven't failed me yet!

Tupperware ?

Not sure how expensive they are, but assuming you aren't planning to submerse this box it should be watertight enough.

That's kind of what I was thinking... not sure if the lid would hold up to much bouncing around though. Not planning on bringing it down with me, just something more to throw in my dive bag to carry all my extra stuff.

Murdock325,

If you haven't seen this old thread yet, it will give you an idea of what to put in your dry box: Save-a-Dive-Kit

I want to keep my Save-a-Dive-Kit/Tools/Meds dry, but I don't use a box. I use a large nylon zippered shaving kit (which is not totally waterproof) to hold onto my tools and spares, but I drop that into a small drybag. Other stuff can go into the same drybag (wallet, keys, extra shirt/underwear). The drybag, being soft-sided, can be tossed around, mushed into small areas, won't scar up my leather seats, and shrinks and expands to fit what's in it. A drybox doesn't do that. My mask came in a protective case that I still use. The O-rings, port plugs, and spare computer batteries go into little 35mm film canasters which go into the shaving kit.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I've used several types of boxes in the past. Tupperwear makes all sizes and configurations but aren't really suited too well for packing in a dive bag. It will bend, the lid will pop off and you'll have o-rings everywhere....Don't ask! It works good for keeping things organized at home, tho.

As my save-a-dive kit grew, I found a small craft box that had removeable dividers, sort of like what fishermen use but bigger sections. I still use a smallish fly tackle box for little stuff...port plugs, o-rings, etc. that fits into a bigger tool box. The archives has a great thread on save-a-dive kits so I won't go into that but as my kit grew, I bit the bullet and bought a small pelican box. I need stuff like wrenches for hoses, allen wrenches for port plugs, hose adapters, duct tape, etc. more than just o-rings, mask and fin straps.

Medications go in another box so first aid kits are another subject! Check the archives on that too! :D

1. If you want an ACTUAL dry box, check your local sporting goods store. I was able to get a 6x8x2 inch box at about 1/2 the cost in the camping department.

2. If you want something larger, also check the camping and/or paddling section for a dry BAG. The top folds over like you would fold a brown paper bag and has a clip.

3. If nothing else, a couple of gallon sized zip-loc bags or some heavy duty garbage bags work.

I have used all of the above on dives.

Originally posted by Murdock325
...anyway, does anyone have any good suggestions for a dry box to store mask/fin straps, o-rings, medication, etc... I've seen some at dive shops but I don't really feel like spending $20+ on a stupid little plastic box that couldn't even hold a pop can.

A true "guaranteed" dry box will cost you money - at least what I've seen. If want you're after is something to tote your stuff around in a "water protected" environment, I use a variety of sizes of plastic tubs. In three smaller ones I have my save-a-dive(and I've never had the lid pop off yet on any of my trips), first aid and computer. If I'm traveling locally, I also use large ones (about 4x3x3) to carry my kit. Two are sufficient to have wet stuff in one, and spare kit/ dry stuff in other. They're just the right size to fit on my travel dolly that I use to move the bins around (no heavy toting for this girl).

You could try places that sell kitchenware, too. Lots of airtight plastic containers for storing your leftover salad, cake and, um... diving gear. There are some that are pretty similar to dry boxes, with rubber gaskets and springy clips that hold the lid on.

Zept

Back
Top Bottom