DRXT vs Deep6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm getting ready to buy new fins, I have used the Xts and like them and was wondering if anyone has used both to get your opinion. I mainly flutter kick, Midwest quarry with 7mm wet and Keys in a 3mm shorty. How is the deep6 in current or flutter kicking.

I'm getting ready to buy new fins, I have used the Xts and like them and was wondering if anyone has used both to get your opinion. I mainly flutter kick, Midwest quarry with 7mm wet and Keys in a 3mm shorty. How is the deep6 in current or flutter kicking.

own both. You'll get one helluva calf workout with either of them. I grab the Deep6's most of the time since I find the foot pocket more comfortable. Neither of them are designed for recreational flutter kicking. They will flutter kick, they will go VERY fast, but unless you work out quite a bit you are going to get cramps from both of them since they are quite stiff.
If you are convinced that flutter kicking is the best for you, then I would consider something a bit softer. Force Fins are designed for flutter kicking and do it much better than either of the two above.
XT's are also exceptionally long so you may have problems with suitcases for travel

If you have any sort of knee issues, don't even think about flutter kicking with the XTs. Hurt me like heck. I have a pair of the soft Deep6 fins (small/medium size only, I believe) and flutter kicking in them is much easier on my knees than the XT fins.

Thanks everyone for the input. I've wanted to learn the frog kick just new to diving and haven't had the time to work on it. I really liked the XT's that I got to use and they didn't seem to wear me out but was concerned about the size the one week a year we will travel by plane.

Last edited:
The XTs were way too stiff for my tastes. I love my Deep6 fins.

I love my deep6 fins. Easy on the legs while frog kicking. I wish they were a bit stiffer though. I've been thinking about the DR because I hear they are king of currents, but their length keep me away due to mostly travel diving. I wish the deep6 had a bit more power but they are super comfy and feel really good while diving.

I dive Midwest quarries and absolutely love my XTs. Perfect for frog, though they flutter just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom