drug addiction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi.

Does anybody know of any good resources for drug addiction? The most common drug here in the philippines is shabu. That is Methamphetamine or ice I think. So if you have something that is specific to this drug, I would really appreciate it.

Basically, I am looking for a website or pdf or document of understanding drug abuse, signs and symptoms, and rehab.

I am looking through the net but there are just so many websites to go through. I have already spent 2 afternoons on this and have not gotten far. It just gets more depressing, the more I read.

Hopefully some of you guys have exactly what I am looking for and can email it to me.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I sympathize Paul! Ice is a big problem here in Hawaii. I spent a couple days searching for someone I know. A person who worked for me's son (12) became addicted almost overnight. We could find no community resources or help for him unless he was "in the system", as in committed a crime. We sent him to Mexico to a remote ranch, believing it was his only chance. Ice, or meth is the worst drug I have ever seen. I have a friend who works vice undercover here in Honolulu, and he said the other night "please bring the crack back". Very sad..it makes people very violent and makes mothers neglect their babies even more than other drugs. I wish you luck, offer my support, and wish I had better news and more answers.

hope you find your answers Paul. My cousin got into shabu during high school but was fortunately able to get over it and is now making well for himself. Take a load off and drop in to say hi in the Barangay Pasaway forum from time to time.

try erowid.org

crchealth.com is the website for the largest provider of specialty healthcare in the US. The Corporation owns a multitude of Addictive Disorder Treatment Programs and has several model program for the treatment of Meth addiction. Their website contains a lot of information on the disease of addiction as well as the treatment for it. They have one facility in South Dakota that has an excellent program specifically for the treatment of meth addiction. The facility is called Keystone Treatment Center in Canton SD. PM me if you need additional information.

partridge:
Thanks guys. Ill check out the links. I hope you understand if I dont go into details.

Good luck with this, I know it hard for everyone involved, I had a drug problem 16yrs ago and thank the god(s) I beat it, its hard, have faith.

Remember hitting bottom is not the end, its the begining.

I've just kicked a habit myself, every day is pretty hard but surround yourself with people who care about you and it makes it a $hitload easier.
Good luck.

catherine96821:
I sympathize Paul! Ice is a big problem here in Hawaii. I spent a couple days searching for someone I know. A person who worked for me's son (12) became addicted almost overnight. We could find no community resources or help for him unless he was "in the system", as in committed a crime. We sent him to Mexico to a remote ranch, believing it was his only chance. Ice, or meth is the worst drug I have ever seen. I have a friend who works vice undercover here in Honolulu, and he said the other night "please bring the crack back". Very sad..it makes people very violent and makes mothers neglect their babies even more than other drugs. I wish you luck, offer my support, and wish I had better news and more answers.
In Thailand it's called ya ba, or crazy drug. It's a big problem there as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine

Methamphetamine was later distributed during World War II by the Allies and the Axis to troops, under the name Pervitin.[1] The Nazis widely distributed methamphetamine to their soldiers for use as a stimulant, particularly to SS personnel and Wehrmacht forces in the Eastern Front. Adolf Hitler received shots of methamphetamine from his personal physician, Theodore Morell.

After World War II, a massive supply of methamphetamine, formerly stockpiled by the Japanese military, became available in Japan under the street name shabu[citation needed]. The Japanese banned the drug soon after World War II, which is thought to have added to the growing yakuza activities related to illicit drug production. Today, the Japanese underworld is still associated with the drug, although its use is discouraged by strong social taboos.

With the 1950s came a rise in the legal prescription of methamphetamine to the American public. According to the 1951 edition of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (by Arthur Grollman), it was to be prescribed for "narcolepsy, post-encephalitic parkinsonism, alcoholism, ... in certain depressive states...and in the treatment of obesity."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom