Droplets on Lense Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris, I had picked mine up from a local FBO.

I dug a bit and found that it's available from Sporty's Pilot Shop . Also, it's manufactured by a company called Vortex Aviation.

All the best, James

fdog:
Sea Yoda, the short answer is that Rain-X contains several alcohols that damage acrylic ports. ...
That sounds like the long and short of it :D . Looks like you have researched this or were a chemist in a former life - either way, thanks for the help.

Thanks so much James

Sporty's may ship to Guam!

look forward to trying it out on under over projects.

BTW, still keep my Nikon 16 mm fisheye for such stuff, the digital crop on the Fuji S2 reduces the "fishy" effect and I still get the DOF benifits. very specialized use, but does the trick!

Chris

SeaYoda:
That sounds like the long and short of it :D . Looks like you have researched this or were a chemist in a former life - either way, thanks for the help.
Kind of guilty as charged...my former life was a photojournalist. I gave up screaming editors and deadlines for working on a fire engine, where my chemistry Ph. D. got me (forcibaly) appointed to the HazMat team.

All the best, James

I find saliva works OK - just a quick lick of the lens seems to even it all out pretty well. I've used that for uver/under shots with reasonable success on a WAL on a PT 019 housing.

Wiggsy.

COLEDIVER:
Upon coming to the surface, I like to take pictures of the other divers floating in the water. I often get droplets on the lense housing that ruin good pictures. Is there a good technique for getting rid of these droplets? I have thought about trying Rainex but I am concerned it may react with my lense and ruin my housing.

My company makes a water and soil repellent for motorbike visors. It works on both plastics and glass and is safe to do so because the carrier fluid is not neat alcohol like most.. RainX included.

I'd be happy to send you a sample free of charge in order to allow you to test whether the product will allow rapid run off of water after you have surfaced with your camera. We've never tested the product in this type of application, but I've every reason to think that it would work at least as good if not better than all other solutions presented here. The one thing to consider however is that complete immersion in sea water for say one hour, is totally different to riding your motorbike in rain at 60mph.

by all means give it a try and see. www.salclear.com

best regards, Pippa

(ps. we also make good scuba defogs, ear drops and mask prep fluids)

Back
Top Bottom