Drop Tanks - Where do the responsibilities lie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudibranch Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,

I wanted to get some advice and guidance on the responsibilities surrounding the use of drop tanks. An issue arose on my PADI DM course and I can't find any reference in their standards.

I understand that according to PADI standards drop tanks should be used when doing deep dives and its the responsibility of the most qualified diver on board, in my case the instructor, to notify the Boat Captain that they will be needed. In this situation, as the DM trainee, I was instructed to tell the Boat Captain that we would be needing a drop tank, which I did, also adding to check the regulator was working ok and that he had enough rope to hang it at 5 meters.

What I would like to understand is whos responsibility is it to ensure the Boat Captain knows how to deploy a drop tank on the boat that he is captaining? There are many instances where accidents could happen as a result of the incorrect deployment of a dive tank, e.g. it falls on a diver below, is empty, is too shallow, is not properly secured etc. Perhaps there should also be some guidance as to where from the boat it should be dropped so as not to interfere with the mooring line, too near the propeller?

Who is responsible for ensuring the Boat Captain knows? Is it the DM trainee? The instructor? The Boat Captain? The Dive Shop owner?

If you are requiring the drop tank you should go and place it at 5m on the anchor line of the boat. Some people may put two drop tanks one at 5m one at 10m. Don't rely on others to do something that you need for yourself. Inform the boat captain when you are the dive site.

Hello All,
Who is responsible for ensuring the Boat Captain knows? Is it the DM trainee? The instructor? The Boat Captain? The Dive Shop owner?

IMO, the responsibility lies with all people that have an interest in said drop tank that everyone else is aware of who is taken responsibility for what.

If you, as a diver, or you as an DM/instructor leading a dive, believe that you may need a drop tank or have one available just in case, work it out with the boat captain before hand.

The answer is very simple!
As a trainee DM you should double check everything!
Make sure the tank is full, reg is working, the length of the line is accurate and finally make sure the tank is dropped!!
Check the tank again on the initial descend.
Make yourself useful as a trainee. No need to be told/instructed.

It is the responsibility of whoever is in charge of the dive, and this is usually delegated to the their deputy e.g. Instructor is responsible and will delegate to the DM / DM in training.

The boat captain should not be moving the boat during the dive, and if drop tanks are in place. However if a suitable buoy is used on a well anchored shotline that can support a drop tank, then that can be used as an alternative to allow the boat to pick up divers who may have surfaced far from the buoy.

as the DM trainee, I was instructed to tell the Boat Captain that we would be needing a drop tank, which I did, also adding to check the regulator was working ok and that he had enough rope to hang it at 5 meters.

As an Instructor I'd be expecting the DM (t) to be able to complete this task themselves, and if not then they should be watching, asking questions and learning.

There are many instances where accidents could happen as a result of the incorrect deployment of a dive tank, e.g. it falls on a diver below, is empty, is too shallow, is not properly secured etc. Perhaps there should also be some guidance as to where from the boat it should be dropped so as not to interfere with the mooring line, too near the propeller?

So here you show you do recognise there are risks and procedures that should be followed. Rather than asking the Internet, these questions should be aimed at your instructor (s)

The DM course differs from your previous courses, where you have each skill demonstrated and then repeat. There is a lot of on the job learning, and a requirement that if you don't know, ask.

Had I been the instructor I would either have asked if you knew how to do it, or expected you to tell me if you didn't.

If you had indicated you knew how to do this, then I would have got you to rig the tank, if you said no, then I would have either shown you or got the boat captain to show you how. If the boat captain had rigged the tank, I would have expected you to examine the tank underwater to ensure it's been rigged and functions correctly, to demonstrate that you know how or to identify any errors

During the course you need to transition from a customer diver i.e. along for the ride, to an integrated part of the team. Until the Staff can give you tasks to complete and have confidence they will be done correctly and have an expectation you can complete required preparations under your own initiative, then you haven't made that transition.

A DM (t) is still only a rescue diver until they've completed the course and been formally registered, so the professional Dive centre staff still have the ultimate responsibility.

Remember though, on completing DM it's then you who takes the responsibility, so it's imperative you fully understand how to conduct dive Op's

The answer is very simple!
As a trainee DM you should double check everything!
Make sure the tank is full, reg is working, the length of the line is accurate and finally make sure the tank is dropped!!
Check the tank again on the initial descend.
Make yourself useful as a trainee. No need to be told/instructed.

Thank you - In all the conversations with Diver friends and instructors no one has pointed this out! It seems by far the most obvious answer but does put me in a quandary. Incredible as it may seem I have never seen a dive tank dropped in preparation for a deep dive, it has always been dropped by someone on the boat after I had already commenced the dive.

I agree with being helpful as a trainee of course but I'm struggling with the 'no need to be told / instructed'. What is the instructors role?

I'm sure its a pretty simple task and I have since discovered that preparing emergency breathing equipment and positioning it at the safety stop depth is a part of the Divemaster practical application skills in a Deep Dive Scenario.

The duty of a DM is very complicated. Just remember you are being trained as "professional". Duty is enormous as life can be at risk.
I have been to a lot of dive boats and their jobs are so tedious/thankless to say the least. Even right after the divers had departed. You will be surprised how some divers can behave so BADLY/demanding!!

I just cannot do it.
Good luck to your course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom