Droid / iPhone / other smartphone housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eriikthered

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody know if there is such a thing as an underwater housing for any of the smartphones out there these days?

Yes. Scuba.com has them for $30 I think but they only go to 20ft.

Right, should have mentioned that I've seen the flimsy plastic bags around all over the place, but meant something rated to 130 ft at least. Thanks anyway for the reply!

Its actually a case but yea it only goes to 20ft. If u find one let me know.

Let me ask this---why?

I have a Droid, it is clunky, smunky and then there is the touch screen that never does what I want it to do, how in the world would you activate a touch screen intensive--INTENSIVE- device in an underwater housing?

I have to remove my gloves in freezing weather just to make the thing go, much less an underwater housing, I don't understand the point.

N

Why? Well my droid x is thin and light. It has an 8mp camera that takes nice pics and vids. For some ppl that's good enough. If I already have this camera y spend another $500+ on a waterproof fancy camera. If there was a hard case that allowed use of just the camera feature, id buy it. So let me ask u this, y not?

Also when u put a screen cover on ur phone it still works right? Im sure with all the advaces in technology we can figure out a way for it to work underwater.

The ones on scuba.com or divers supply still allows for use of the touch screen.

Why? Well my droid x is thin and light. It has an 8mp camera that takes nice pics and vids. For some ppl that's good enough. If I already have this camera y spend another $500+ on a waterproof fancy camera. If there was a hard case that allowed use of just the camera feature, id buy it. So let me ask u this, y not?

Also when u put a screen cover on ur phone it still works right? Im sure with all the advaces in technology we can figure out a way for it to work underwater.

The ones on scuba.com or divers supply still allows for use of the touch screen.

Have you ("u" ?) used it with gloves on? ("ur" I assume is some abbreviation for your and "vids" might be a video?)

So when several atmospheres of pressure begin to press on that pressure sensitive screen????????

If I could flap my arms fast enough I might take off and fly, but I cannot, and would look silly trying, about like trying to use a Droid phone underwater.:rofl3:

Yes we put men on the moon, why cannot we have an underwater Droid phone? Well, first, we did not put men on the moon, men nearly 40 years ago put men on the moon and nobody has been back since because today all of the world's mental power is being used to create video games and Droid phones, that, by the way, would make a pretty dismal underwater camera and I doubt it has a good signal underwater.

N

The touch screen doesn't use pressure to activate it. It uses the electrical charge that comes off your finger. Maybr a hard case that allows the electricity to pass through it. Idk. So who knows maybe it can be done. Just saying I would buy one but of course that's just me.

The touch screen doesn't use pressure to activate it. It uses the electrical charge that comes off your finger. Maybr a hard case that allows the electricity to pass through it. Idk. So who knows maybe it can be done. Just saying I would buy one but of course that's just me.

A pressure-proof hard screen that passes the minute current coming out of your finger along to your phone's screen while immersed? The moment you get that figured out, let GE or someone know because that's pretty fantastic and you will make millions.

Peace,
Greg

Exactly my thinking, Mark. I'd buy one if it were available.

I'm not sure why people who wouldn't buy such a thing care enough to post about it here (and even sound angry about it). Whatever your solution is, great, but that doesn't mean other people wouldn't find it valuable.

I don't want a specialized device or setup just to take casual amateur photos every once in a while. Being able to dive with a quality camera phone would be a great solution for me (and I imagine many others). Pretty much everyone has a camera phone these days, but not everyone is a photography geek. Hard to justify the expense for something that wouldn't get used nearly enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom