Driving to San Carlos? Make sure you have pesos.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArizSig

Reaction score
I drove to San Carlos this weekend. The last two toll stations on Hwy 15 have signs posted that they only accept pesos, no US dollars. I went through on Thrusday and they were enforcing this, but another member of our group came down on Saturday used US dollars with no problems. As is typical in Mexico, the rules seem to be selectively enforced.

When I went through they were making people get out of line and stop at the small store next to the toll booth to get money exchanged, then get back in line.

The Magdalena toll was 17 pesos, the Hermosillo toll was 53 pesos. Have the pesos available before you get there in case they won't take US dollars.

I drove down on 25 June and I got some pesos at one of the money exchanges where you get your vehicle permit. I only got $10 worth because a woman at the permit desk said the rate was not as good as in San Carlos or from the Banamex ATM, but I was glad I did. The car in front of us at the first toll booth apparently had only dollars and while they didn't have to get out, they obviously had to negotiate and it took them longer than it took us.

ArizSig, Thanks for the Surface Time tip. IMHO they are the best shop in town.

I try to keep at least 200 pesos for just in case... Been to Mex enough times to be ready for anything. The atm's usually give you the best exchange rate... Also just found Surface time and used them and they are GREAT!!! We did 6 dives with them and were by ourselves the whole time. Took us whereever we wanted. Nice boats and great crew. My operation of choice from now on!

Thanks for the recommendation divrnr. I have been down to San Carlos five times now, always with a Scuba Specialties. I love them and always have a blast partying with the staff and the clientele they attract. But I am ready to supplement Scuba Specialties with a few trips on my own now, just so I can get more diving in affordably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom