Driving Solo and staying entertained

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Nope, it wasn’t a typo. I have a 12 hour drive coming up in a few weeks in order to take some training classes. So how do you stay entertained on a long drive?

Typically I will listen to a movie, or audio books, and wear out all my friends on phone conversations.

Any audio book recommendations?
Any downloadable movie recommendations (don’t watch, just listen so a high visual effect movie just doesn’t work).

Just did 8 hours from suburban Chicago to the Soo today and have 6 hours into Ontario tomorrow for training myself. I despise audio books. Love radio. Will stream BBC Radio via my phone and listen to that. Music. I will stop probably every 1.5-2 hours to stretch my legs. Love my road trips.

Love audio books. What do you like? Hitchhikers Guide got me to the Keys and back one trip. I can listen to it multiple times because for some reason I can't remember it after I've heard/read it. Spooky...:)

Stuart Woods is good road trip material. Hard to beat Stone Barrington bangin' his new secretary while being shot at and if you zone out for a bit you really haven't missed anything. :eyebrow:

Hmmmm...still thinking...

Podcasts? They have them on every subject imaginable...

I used to read a lot of Stuart Woods, but then he started churning out a lot of quantity vs quality. His first couple were awesome ( chiefs, New York run, etc), but you’re right if I zoned out, I could fill in the gaps.

Grisham is my favorite.

Podcasts on scuba stuff?

Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch / Mickey Haller
David Baldacci - whole bunch of series

If you like police/crime procedurals with a little fantasy, humor, in London - Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant series

This guy!! Harlan Coben

I like audio books, but its really hard to find an author and reader that works for me. One of my favorites is Robinson Crusoe.

Podcasts are also great, I have a few regulars that I subscribe to.

I recommend Dan CarLin’s hardcore history series. He does a great job of talking through historical subjects in a very entertaining way. I have listened to his series “wrath of the khans” a few times over.

I used to install audio professionally, so I have a kick ass stereo system that makes music come alive with the synergy and realism of a concert. Other than that, push the gas down and let the music take you there.

It helps to have a fun vehicle to drive as well. Too harsh it will beat you down, too soft it make you detached from the driving.

The Great Dive Podcast if you haven't listened to that before is pretty entertaining, and there are more than a hundred episodes. The Great Courses is very good as well. Great Courses are recordings of the best college courses on a subject; here are hundreds of courses you can listen to covering everything under the sun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom