drink after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metalmat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
how long should you wait to drink after a dive

How long is a piece of string?

metalmat:

The more important question is...
how long should you wait to DIVE after a DRINK...:D

Stay sober long enough to clean your gear. After your gear is taken care of - bottom's up.

The main thing here is about how alcohol affects you before, during and after a dive. Alcohol dehydrates you. One of the most widely accepted reasons for taking a DCI hit when you've stayed well within all the table limits, etc. is dehydration. So drinking before diving is not a good thing. Drinking after diving not only dehydrates you, but it also thins your blood making any disolved N2 more likely to come out of suspension and cause you to take a hit.

That said and reading all the books about diving and drinking and smoking, etc., take a look at the bar on the pier at the end of the day and see how many of the people from the dive shop are there. Personally, I wait at least a couple hours after my last dive and then I take it easy on the drinks for a good amount of time. (Smoking sux by the way.)

95yj:
The main thing here is about how alcohol affects you before, during and after a dive. Alcohol dehydrates you. One of the most widely accepted reasons for taking a DCI hit when you've stayed well within all the table limits, etc. is dehydration. So drinking before diving is not a good thing. Drinking after diving not only dehydrates you, but it also thins your blood making any disolved N2 more likely to come out of suspension and cause you to take a hit.

That said and reading all the books about diving and drinking and smoking, etc., take a look at the bar on the pier at the end of the day and see how many of the people from the dive shop are there. Personally, I wait at least a couple hours after my last dive and then I take it easy on the drinks for a good amount of time. (Smoking sux by the way.)

Just a quick note: Alcohol does not "thin your blood", and if it did, it would probably be offset by the dehydration. Alcohol is a vasodilator. It causes the blood vessels to expand. This is particularly true for the tiny capillaries located just below the skin's surface. The blood vessel dilation allows a greater amount of blood volume to be brought to the skin's surface.

metalmat:

I usually wait till I have got the regulator out of my mouth!!

In Puerto Galera there are floating bars and it is not unknown for a dive to end at one of these.

Obviously it is incredibly important to ensure that you are properly rehydrated before you dive, especially in the tropics.

Back
Top Bottom