Drifter rescued after 10 hours - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
At least he told his wife about his plan and wore a strobe...

Florida Keys Diver Separated From Boat Rescued After 10 Hours Drifting in Water
A diver who said he spent 10 hours in the water after drifting away from his boat in the Florida Keys was rescued by the Coast Guard early Friday.

U.S. Coast Guard officials said the man's wife called authorities around 10 p.m. Thursday when he didn't come home after leaving from Cudjoe Key to American Shoal Light to dive.

Crews from the Coast Guard stations in Miami and Key West began a search for the 50-year-old man and found his 20-foot boat anchored near American Shoal Light with no one aboard, officials said.

Around 12:30 a.m. Friday, a Coast Guard helicopter found the man in the water, about three miles from his boat off Saddlebunch Key, officials said.

"The man was wearing a strobe light, which allowed our aircrews to find him," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Paul Altieri.

Officials said the man's wife also helped give searchers an accurate position by tracking her husband's phone.

The man was reported to be cold and evaluated by emergency medical crews. He told the crews that he had surfaced from a dive and couldn't find his boat, and was drifting for about 10 hours before being found.

"We'd like to remind divers to always dive with a buddy and ensure the dive flag is posted," Altieri said.

I wonder if they found his boat.

at least he was found....looks like he was alone diving and boating.,,,waiting for more info?

I wonder if they found his boat.

They did. Says it right in the article: Crews from the Coast Guard stations in Miami and Key West began a search for the 50-year-old man and found his 20-foot boat anchored near American Shoal Light with no one aboard, officials said.

This incident reminds me of another similar situation in Australia, where a 67 years old diver boating & diving alone, couldn’t get back to his boat due to swift current, and drifting for about 17 hours. He got a PLB, but left it at home, duh!

About an year ago, i myself get adrift with 3 buddyes after an skypper mistake following the plan on a technical wreck diving, for 13 Hours.
The horizon could be quite black at night!
All i have to say is that what matters is being alive to told the history. Although mature talking about what gone wrong could make it better onwards, just pointing fingers make no good at all.
Tks he's rescued! That's what matters

I was really surprised last summer while fishing off Montauk to find numerous empty boats flying dive flags on the south side of Block Island. I assume they were all diving or free diving for lobster, and it made me wonder if any of them don't get back to the boat. There were probably in the neighborhood of 10 of these boats.

I'm wondering how a dive flag would have helped, when boat diving they are on the boat after all.

I'm wondering how a dive flag would have helped, when boat diving they are on the boat after all.
A lot of people, including myself, use a reel to tow the dive flag while you’re down. It’s kind of an inconvenience sometimes but you get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom