Dressel Divers Riveria Maya Lindo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjc_ma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I dove with Dressel Divers who were ok but I am not sure I would use them again. I thought they were pretty expensive in my opinon. $130USD for a 2 tank with rental.
You had to done your equipment at the dive shop then wade out to the boat in the surf, weight belt and flippers in hand hoping you dont get hit by the boat, kick a rock or get tripped up by the stern line.

Their dive masters were ok I thought. Depending on which dive master you got and how many people were in the group you recieved different amounts of attenion.

My first day diving I got wetter on the ride out there then when I actually dove. The captain knew only one direction and was a throttle jockey. People wore their mask and snorkles in the boat on the way out, it was that wet of a ride. I know you cant control the weather but you dont have to have your teeth fillings knocked out either and you can take a differnt tack to make it a bit more comfortable.

On a calmer day decided to try the 2 tank dive and after the first deep dive we went to another Iberostar in Playa Del Carmen and had to exchange tanks in the surf. The boat almost capsized when the anchor line was not set right and the captain mate on the beach dealing with the tanks and boat was taking waves over the side. I pulled the boat by the rope with the help of the dive master who saw what was going on and we got it out of the surf. Later on I did hear from another guest that dressel did have a boat sink while we were there but I am not sure the details.

I saw a few problems with the rental equipment, free flowing regs for one chap and he had to cut his dive short they did have another on board but he missed the first dive. And one guy had sticky inflator button, but he caught it as we pulled anchor, there was not another extra BC on board so we had to go back and have one swam out to us.

Anyway long story short we had a great vacation at the hotel and we will go back but I would go with another dive operator.

I just did not care for boarding in the rough surf, Its an accident waiting to happen.
I would try someone up in Pureto Morales only a 15 minute cab ride, or down in Playa Del Carmen take a cab down and hotel bus back.
Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to write.

Thanks for the report. I'm heading to PDC in July and have been looking out for up to date reports to help choose a dive op.

Most of my diving has been in the Red Sea where the diving is mostly based out of Dayboats with a very leisurely pace whereby you do a morning dive, have a 3 hour break for lunch on the boat, then do an afternoon dive.

It sounds like diving is mostly out of much smaller boats and very much more hurried.

I dove with Dressell last week at Barcelo. They have a dock there, so the boat entry/exit is more civilized.

You described plenty of reasons to always dive your own gear.

mjc_ma:
I dove with Dressel Divers who were ok but I am not sure I would use them again. I thought they were pretty expensive in my opinon. $130USD for a 2 tank with rental.
You had to done your equipment at the dive shop then wade out to the boat in the surf, weight belt and flippers in hand hoping you dont get hit by the boat, kick a rock or get tripped up by the stern line.

Their dive masters were ok I thought. Depending on which dive master you got and how many people were in the group you recieved different amounts of attenion.

My first day diving I got wetter on the ride out there then when I actually dove. The captain knew only one direction and was a throttle jockey. People wore their mask and snorkles in the boat on the way out, it was that wet of a ride. I know you cant control the weather but you dont have to have your teeth fillings knocked out either and you can take a differnt tack to make it a bit more comfortable.

On a calmer day decided to try the 2 tank dive and after the first deep dive we went to another Iberostar in Playa Del Carmen and had to exchange tanks in the surf. The boat almost capsized when the anchor line was not set right and the captain mate on the beach dealing with the tanks and boat was taking waves over the side. I pulled the boat by the rope with the help of the dive master who saw what was going on and we got it out of the surf. Later on I did hear from another guest that dressel did have a boat sink while we were there but I am not sure the details.

I saw a few problems with the rental equipment, free flowing regs for one chap and he had to cut his dive short they did have another on board but he missed the first dive. And one guy had sticky inflator button, but he caught it as we pulled anchor, there was not another extra BC on board so we had to go back and have one swam out to us.

Anyway long story short we had a great vacation at the hotel and we will go back but I would go with another dive operator.

I just did not care for boarding in the rough surf, Its an accident waiting to happen.
I would try someone up in Pureto Morales only a 15 minute cab ride, or down in Playa Del Carmen take a cab down and hotel bus back.
Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to write.

So what dive operators do you suggest to use in Puerto Morales or Playa Del Carmen.

bdklein:
So what dive operators do you suggest to use in Puerto Morales or Playa Del Carmen.

If you're staying in Playa try Aquanauts. It's run by Dennis of Diablo Divers. Based on my experiences diving the cenotes with him, I'm sure his ocean dives would be run top-notch.

I was there last summer and got on the boat in the surf and also on the dock. I enjoyed diving with them for 4 days last July and will be going back less than two weeks. But it going to suck cause I won't be able to dive the wreck this time cause I am leaving the day they normally dive the wreck.

MichaelBaranows:
I was there last summer and got on the boat in the surf and also on the dock. I enjoyed diving with them for 4 days last July and will be going back less than two weeks. But it going to suck cause I won't be able to dive the wreck this time cause I am leaving the day they normally dive the wreck.

You may want to try the cenotes, IMO they're a much better dive than the Mama Vina. (I just left you a reply on the Bareclo board.)

here is a pic of a calm dayhttp://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/73981/cat/500/ppuser/58619

Jack, I agree there are better dives than Mama Vina, but I like fly over the flat sand before the wreck and then the mama Vina pop up in front of us.

We dove two cenotes last year and weren't too impressed. I am just not a fan of carrying a light and having to follow and line and not being able to poke around and look for stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom