Dress For Success By GUE Instructor Dan MacKay - A DIR Equipment Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d33ps1x

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
At the suggestion of many scubaboard members I was asked to repost this review in the DIR forum which is an excellent suggestion. If it is the wrong place then please do move it where it belongs. Thanks.

I finally got a chance to check out the finished copy this weekend while up at Northern Tech Diver and give it a complete read through.

What can I say? It is simply something that is long long overdue. A complete resource on the DIR gear configuration all in one place without having to hunt high and low for answers.

If some of us had of had this book in advance we would have spent a lot less time wading through misinformation on the internet, buying the wrong gear for the job 2 or 3 times, etc, on our way to meeting the right people with the right answers.

It picks up nicely right where Jarrod's book leaves off and moves immediately into the meat and potatos of gear specifics from what to look for when buying and why, through to fitting for final use.

Everything is illustrated with apropriate and abundant images throughout the book on big 8 1/2 by 11 pages in colour so there is no confusion as to how to approach anything.

The table of contents including major and minor topic areas include:
Exposure System
Undergarments
CLO
Drysuits
Overboard Discharge Valves
Wet suits
Hoods
Wet Gloves
Dry Gloves
Backplate and Harness
Storage Pack
BCDs
Regulators
SPG's
Hose Selection
The Long Hose
Long hose regulator assembly
Long hose system configuration
Fins
Manifolds
Bands
Tank Assembly
Masks
Ancillary Equipment
Bottom Timers
Watches
Compasses
Surface Marker Bag (SMBs)
Spools
Primary Reel
Bolt Snaps/Double Enders
Wet Notes
Weighting Systems
Tying the knot
Lighting Systems
Primary light
Backup lights
Recommended Burn Times
Stages/Deco Bottles
Stages
Stage Rigging
Stage/Decompression Regulators
Final Thoughts

Every section is full of excellent, brand impartial and very specific detail on every item listed.

Anyways. Congratulations to Dan on this excellent resource. I'm sure it won't be long before it winds up in the hands of many divers both young and old, new and seasoned.

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will wind up in my library soon.

Christian

P.S. Did Spike and Fin Solo get advanced copies? :D

I have to echo the sentiments expressed here. At first, I was skeptical - how can you make a book out of equipment configuration? But - it's an EXCELLENT book! Really well laid out, lots of pictures, very good resource for answering questions on everything from drysuits to dive lights and everything in between.

If you have any questions about future gear purchases and you think there's value to the DIR philosophy, you want to buy this book. I wish I had, several years ago.

d33ps1x:
Fin Solo did yes but unfortunately Spike is still touring Britain and unreachable for the next while. :)
Glad to hear that he's still going strong. Hopefully he's enjoying some quality time during his tour with the Spike Girls. :crafty:

By the way, go ahead and post the site address or whatever info we need to buy a copy of the book. I'm asking for it, so consider it OK to post it here.

Christian

Is it already available, or still coming soon? I checked out NTD's website but couldn't find anything but the DIR-F book.

It sounds like a good read but I hope there is a section that answers all the questions we see here on scubaboard:

Is my whistle DIR?

Is my dog's bandana DIR?

etc etc :D

I checked the NTD website but didn't see anything regarding the book. How much does it cost?

-EDIT- Nevermind, I found this post.

Kriterian:
Is my whistle DIR?

Is it stainless steel or has it been milled from a single piece of delrin? :D

All the contact information is on the front page of my website, and here now.

Our toll free number is 1.888.UW KINGS.

If you wish to send me your CC by email no problems.

We ship to the US.

edit: I've put all of Tom's answers to everyone's questions in his first post and deleted the questions to let this remain a thread about people's reviews about the book. - headhunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom