Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have you been dreaming of Raja Ampat recently? Me too.

So, I created a video DREAMING OF RAJA AMPAT to share our memories and dreams about the breathtaking Raja Ampat. This video includes footage from our two most recent trips to Raja Ampat. Both times we stayed at Sorido Bay Resort (Dampier Strait), which is our favorite place on this planet.

What is your favorite dive resort and place to visit?

Sigh, dreaming of Raja!!

Both times we stayed at Sorido Bay Resort (Dampier Strait), which is our favorite place on this planet.

Point of curiosity for the benefit of those considering Raja Ampat trip options; a live-aboard is reasonably expected to offer the most dives in a give time frame, and from the United States or Canada that's a very long way to fly (just under half-way around the world, judging from playing with Google Maps, a globe and an antipodal calculator).

What led you to choose Sorido Bay Resort over a live-aboard? What do you enjoy besides diving when you stay there?

I agree that in most cases a live-aboard is the best option, because it allows you to cover the largest geographical area and dive sites not accessible otherwise. In my case, from all research and discussions with divers who have extensive diving experience in Raja Ampat, the best diving is at Dampier Strait. As one of our dive mates at Misool said: "There is no any other place even close to Dampier Strait".

Sorido Bay Resort is located at the heart of Dampier Strait, where the world richest reefs are. Their house reef is Cape Kri, which holds the official title of the richest reef on the planet. Also, it is our personal preference to live in a very comfortable conditions in a very species bungalow, with my personal camera room, having our own nice sand beach and be in a very close proximity to the best dive sites in the Raja Ampat.

Also, at Sorido Bay Resort 'dive guide to divers' ration is one dive guide per bungalow, meaning 1 to 2. And if my wife is not diving, they are not adding me to another group, our dive guide goes with me only (1 to 1 ratio). I am not aware of any live-aboard or a resort that offers such service. For videographer, it is priceless.

In addition, based on my research of live-aboards, the good ones are more expensive than the resort. So, why to pay more for less?

You could read my trip report about our last visit to Sorido Bay Resort at this POST.

Favorite spots are Daram and Nampale in Misool, but every dive is great in the BHS :)

Favorite spots are Daram and Nampale in Misool, but every dive is great in the BHS :)
Great! Thank you. I do not remember diving those site when we stayed at Misool Eco Resort.

Thanks for posting this wonderful video. We did the 11 night live-a-board Raja trip two years ago and just loved every minute. My wife can always tell from rooms away when I'm watching scuba videos based on the music...and that I really don't watch anything else. We loved your video. We're looking at returning to Raja or Komodo in a couple years. We will definitely consider Sorido Bay.
Happy holidays.

Rob

Thanks for making such wonderful video. We went diving at Komodo Island 2019 Christmas and fell in love with diving in Indonesia. We were planning to go to Raja Ampat around end of 2020. Unfortunately that won't happen, but watching your video brings us fond memory and hope.

Have you been dreaming of Raja Ampat recently? Me too.

So, I created a video DREAMING OF RAJA AMPAT to share our memories and dreams about the breathtaking Raja Ampat. This video includes footage from our two most recent trips to Raja Ampat. Both times we stayed at Sorido Bay Resort (Dampier Strait), which is our favorite place on this planet.

What is your favorite dive resort and place to visit?

Great video. Thank you!!! I’m scheduled to go to Raja in November’21. I made the reservations before the dumpster fire that was 2020. November can’t get here fast enough

Thank you for an amazing video. My face hurts from smiling so hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom