Drawing patterns on wetsuit without staining or releasing chemicals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I own a Decathlon / Tribord 3mm suit. This model is very common, I would like to customize it drawing some patterns on it just to make it look different from the others. Is there some kind of paint I can use? It must be safe and not dangerous for the skin, and it must not release chemicals in the pool or in the seawater
What do you think?

Nice to see you here Alastor
Thank you so much, it was easier than what I thought

While it sticks very well on clean neoprene (and all wet or dry suits I think), It tends to create a flexible plastic film that sooner or later will detach as a whole if used on rubber (like fins). Maybe scratching the surface instead of just degreasing it would provide much more grip...
I've tried a couple of time without scratching, metodically cleaning the surface before application, but after a dozen dives I lost it ...
When cured, the substance is slightly negative in fresh water and almost neutral at sea...
In any case I'm very disappointed having contributed to plastic pollution...

Last edited:
I found also the description of this method (Italian only) that sounds good
The only thing is I don't want to release chemicals in the water, it's really not good to pollute the environment just to customize a wetsuit

I am also thinking of possible effects of chlorine in the swimming pool
There is a wetsuit I would like to mark, and also the BCD and other objects. If I use a colorant it must be resistant and not toxic both in seawater/fresh water and in in the swimming pool during training

In the US, Amazon and WalMart and all the craft stores sell what is often called "Puffy Paint" and that's the same thing. It cures to something like a flexible vinyl material (which I'm sure it isn't) and manages to stay attached and wear very well. But while it does flex, I'm sure it isn't intended to be used on rubber suits, and eventually it may detach. It may be "as good as it gets" though.

Also this paint I bought is not intended to be used on silicon. Only plastic, neoprene, etc.
Still I am not sure it can be used in pool water that contains chlorine, it might stain

Take it somewhere to get silkscreened. It will wear better than that paint. Eventually it will flake off, but will still last much longer than the puff paint stuff.

Back
Top Bottom