DragonDive, Lake Murray, Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess I'm the first one home so I'll start the trip report.

What a great day to dive. I have a new respect for the bone ceremony. It predicted a suprise and sure enough, there was one. Just ask Richerso. I'll let him cover that story.

Dive #1 - Max Depth 59', Recorded Temp - 42 degrees!! Holy crap it was cold. Vis was running about 6 to 8 feet. Pretty typical for Murray. I did notice good lighting clear down to 40 to 50 feet. We headed to the river channel we all heard about a few days ago. We had just arrived and the surprise happened. (insert Richerso's report here) After, John and I got a bit seperated from Alan,John2, and Frank, so we continued on our path. After only about 20 minutes we turned and headed back to the warmth of the dragon lair. Total dive time was only about 28 minutes.

Surface interval was filled with good conversation, hotdogs and brats, and cookies and brownies.

Dive #2 - Max Depth 60', Recorded temps on this one was 43 degrees. We pretty much did the same dive. Headed at 330 deg to the river channel, then followed the channel west close to the shore, then came back south along the shoreline. I was a little more prepared with a double set of gloves, which made a huge difference. At times I forgot how cold I was. Lasted about 36 minutes this time, and again headed to the sauna inside the dragon lair. OOOOOh was it nice in there! John's propane heater worked like a charm.

After the dives and breaking down the lair, we went into Marietta for some dinner at a mexican restaurant. Thanks everyone for buying my dinner.

I'll end with a few pics from the day....

47b8df24b3127cceb3114ea0fb9300000026100AcMmbdq3ct2Ng

47b8df24b3127cceb3114fbd3a2600000026100AcMmbdq3ct2Ng

47b8df24b3127cceb3114e70fb4300000026100AcMmbdq3ct2Ng

47b8df24b3127cceb311402c7a2800000026100AcMmbdq3ct2Ng

47b8df24b3127cceb311407a7a7e00000026100AcMmbdq3ct2Ng

47b8df24b3127cceb31141c63a5a00000026100AcMmbdq3ct2Ng

Thanks Alan, Frank, John R, and John C, for a great day of diving and great company!

Great Day !!
People........ We all crossed the Amish Hot Towel and Cognac Servers Union Picket line today to dive at Murray.
Kunk35 & JC brought a heated Sauna ( Really ! ) What will those boys think of next ?
They served Rhonda's Special Brownies and Kory's Cookies too.
I had one of each at the same time . Yummy !
Topside fun was had by all.

The bottom of the lake was a great place to be today too :wink:

It was all good! Great time had by all! I really enjoyed the company! Thank you to Kunk35, JChapman, timeliner and especially Texdiveguy!

Right as we found the old river channel, the legs in my dry suit filled with air and wouldn't vent for some reason. I signalled to Alan for help. He came rushing to my rescue. I had no choice but to grab a tree stump and hold on. Alan and I wrestled with the trapped air for a good while. The whole time, we stirred up a silt storm that probably rivals the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. Did I mention I was floating completely inverted? Yeah. I am sure it was quite entertaining to time, kunk, and chapman. I know so - because they told me.

Alan and I finally agreed to perform a controlled ascent to the surface. Alan helped guide me to the surface. I was completely inverted for the entire ride. That was a trip I won't soon forget. Afterwards, a post dive analysis of my gear arrangement yields some strong clues as to what the problem was; even though, nothing definitive has been identified. There is strong evidence that my weight belt acted as a constriction loop preventing the air in my legs from migrating up to the dry suit exhaust valve. I now have to seriously consider some changes to my dive configuration.

I had previously considered the possibility that my weight belt my restrict free air passage from my legs to the upper torso; but this has never been a problem. Something to ponder.

That whole dragon lair thing . . . . . . . .

Let me tell you, that whole dragon lair thing is a sight to behold! I am told that this particular set up is known as Dragon Lair 2, which I am also told is a much smaller version of Dragon Lair 1. Still, Lair 2 was impressive. I believe that tent structure kunk and chapman had was / is significantly warmer than my house! That was an impressive propane heater!

Food, hot dogs, brats, brownies and cookies were awesome too! Thanks guys! fyi, Mexican Food restaurant in Marietta is La Roca. Pretty good Mexican food.

Thanks for the report guys! I had my last team practice prior to heading to New Orleans for next weeks tournament so I couldn't make it. That and no drysuit.

I think that my next goal may be to master floaty legs in a drysuit of my own. I worried that Timeliner may think I've gone soft, though.

DITTO to all the comments above...what a great day of diving-eating-chatting-eating!!

Thanks to Kory and John C. for bringing Dragon Lair 2...The Hilton on Lake Murray....the Amish were very unhappy with us braking the 'lines' as Frank pointed out and then when they saw the Dragon Lair 2 camp rise from the sand, they were speechless-lol.

The vis was really still good for the lake and the water temp is still chilling off....really a great time for diving!

Did I mention eating ....dang the Lair 2 comes complete with a buffet to please a king and the deserts are all homemade.....I was more polite than Frank and ate my cookie and brownie sepretly..:D Thanks to Kory for the chow!

John R. brought along his newly rigged 19cf. pony bottle sporting a custom made 'Poye' tank harness....very nice.

The 'BONES' never lie.......and I thought for just a minute there this afternoon I saw Daisy with a few of those Amish lads.

Another good day of north of the boarder diving! :)

Just noticed I left out someone! Shame on me!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom