Dr Ebersole-another PFO question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Dr Ebersole,

This past fall, after a week of fairly aggressive recreational diving, I experienced several health issues that I, after the fact, discussed with DAN and through SB, DDM: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/441684-migraines-triggered-diving.html. No additional steps were taken or tests done at that time.

In May, I had another milder episode of a deep red rash appear on each side of my lower back, each about the size of my palm. Less itchy but more superficial soreness, like a sunburn. Resolved after about 2 hours. No other symptoms. No chest/breast tenderness. No migraines with aura. This time the rash was after the first day of diving and I had no symptoms during any of the other 14 dives that week.

All dives were within NDL although some to 5 min mark on an Oceanic computer that I understand can be somewhat liberal. All with controlled ascents and 3 min SS.

After some research, following a few threads on SB and soul searching, I asked the physician I work with to order a TTE and Bubble Study. The results are "atrial septal aneurysm with small degree of shunting noted in LV with venous injection." :( Could be worse I know but obviously this did not make me happy. The cardiologist that reviewed the study spoke with me briefly and seemed less than impressed with the shunting but admitted he does not have dive experience and recommend I speak with someone that does. His recommendation, don't valsalva.

Today I called DAN and spoke with Dr Bird whom I can not say enough good things about. He spent a long time discussing my specific circumstances and PFO and diving in general. He also suggested that I contact you and I decided to do so through SB so that others in similar situation might learn as well.

So I guess, besides taking addition steps to reduce bubble formation in my dive profile and avoiding valsalva and exercise post dive, any other recommendation? Thank you.

There is an association between PFO and DCS with about a 5-fold higher incidence of DCS in divers with a PFO. However, the ABSOLUTE risk is still quite small. The risk of DCS for recreational diving is around 2 per 10,000 dives -- obviously with longer & deeper dives being higher risk and shorter & shallower dives being lower risk. A 5-fold higher risk would put the "average" recreational diver with a PFO having a risk of DCS of about 1 episode per 1000 dives -- still a VERY low risk.

The problem is bubbles, not the PFO. So anything a diver can do to decrease his or her "bubble-load" will decrease the risk of DCS whether or not they have a PFO. If a diver has suffered an episode of DCS they could avoid a future event by stopping diving, but this is not acceptable to many divers. A second approach would be to dive "conservatively" to limit bubble load. This would involve no-deco diving, staying shallower than 100 fet, diving nitrox on air profiles, and prolonged safety stops.

There are no absolute indications for PFO closure and closure is controversial in the medical community. I would only recommend considering PFO closure for:
1. Active divers who have suffered recurrent episodes of DCI (especially neurologic) despite diving conservatively
2. Diving professionals who make their living from diving
3. Technical divers who are not willing to dive more conservatively and are fully informed as to the risk of the procedure

I hope this helps.

Doug

Douglas Ebersole, MD
Interventional Cardiology
Watson Clinic LLP
Lakeland, Florida

Thank you Dr Ebersole. That confirms the information from Dr Bird. I have started to read about bubble theory and trying to determine the best dive profile to reduce the formation of bubbles. I am also considering changing to a dive computer that runs on RGBM vs just switching to nitrox on air table. I have also increased my cardio workouts and will try to do some type of excercise 24 hours prior to a dive although multiday dives makes this difficult since I will also avoid exercise post dive. Is there a recommendation for length of time post dive to avoid exercise?

I am also looking into carrying an O2 bottle to local dives.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom