DPV: training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think mr_v is pointing out that there may be more to safe DPV use, if the prerequisite for even being eligible to enroll in a DPV course (in this case, cave DPV) is so high. 50 cave dives is halfway to your Abe Davis award.

If using DPVs were that simple, surely all new cave divers would be allowed to take the cave DPV class as soon as they were certified at the intro/cave 1 level.

I think mr_v is pointing out that there may be more to safe DPV use, if the prerequisite for even being eligible to enroll in a DPV course (in this case, cave DPV) is so high. 50 cave dives is halfway to your Abe Davis award.

If using DPVs were that simple, surely all new cave divers would be allowed to take the cave DPV class as soon as they were certified at the intro/cave 1 level.
Using it is not difficult, even in a cave :wink: At least getting in is easy, getting out through all the silt you stirred up not knowing how to use a DPV is very difficult.

I have seen a lot of DPV divers that know how to propel themselves forward with a DPV, but do not know how to use it correctly. No clue about air sharing while on the trigger, not silting out the enviroment and last but not least emergency procedures like towing.

What does cave diving have to do with any of this?
The original question - the very first post in this thread - was about the differences between recreational and technical DPV usage.

To answer the OP, yes, there is a difference. Cave DPV is a good technical DPV usage example which requires training far beyond being comfortable with the trigger, and in most cases instructors will ask you to be comfortable with a DPV before you sign up for a DPV course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom