DPV Novice experience and thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I finally sat down to talk about my experience with DPVs.
A year+ ago I went to a local quarry and did a DPV trial with SubGravity DPV’s. I grabbed a DPV and took off – how hard can this be? I must admit I was completely baffled on how to steer them and why a DPV was needed. I remember trying to turn in the direction I wanted was ridiculously difficult – I kept reaching up with my free hand to push the nose cone where I wanted to go. Push on the left side to go right or push down on the nose cone to go down – it was not much fun… I kept thinking why is everyone so excited about these machines? The bigger the DPV the harder it was to push the nose cone the way I wanted to go and I was getting tired using my arms – I thought this was supposed to be fun…
Fast forward from that point – I did more research and realized my mistakes. I am an open water diver – I happen to dive singles and doubles and thought the DPV would open up some of the dive sites that I was passing on due to shear distance. Who wants to spend 45+ minutes kicking out to a spot – swimming around and then 45+ minutes back? Not me - obviously.
I started getting bored with the same dives and kept researching new shore dives that if I had a DPV I go reach and explore. So I started asking questions about DPVs as a beginner – I got various answers and each in its own way was good advice but was not realistic for me. I have 2 kids in college right now and next year a 3rd on his way so 3 college students next year – so for me money is an object and I have only so much to go around.
I landed on an AquaProp L from SubGravity – it gave me extended range and was within my budget (even though strictly speaking it wasn’t). I have been diving the AquaProp in both fresh and salt water and in each case it has met or exceeded my expectations. I am not a technical or cave diver but I dive doubles and like to try new spots. That said some of the advice that was given seemed to be appropriate but not always appropriate for my situation.
I look at a DPV kind of like a boat – each year the boat gets smaller… But for me – I don’t have to have the fastest, strongest, or newest of things. I just need a functioning DPV that will allow me to get to new dive spots within reason. I am not diving in an inlet with a ripping current – so why do I need a DPV to do the same?
Your mileage may vary but I wanted to let you know what I have found in my DPV travels. AquaProp L works for me and my North East diving. I hope to post some videos of my travels soon.
By the way having friends with a DPV really helps too...

Like I said before Pete, if sound is your biggest concern, the least amount of sound is going to come from the most efficient use of prop, nozzle and motor. Genesis wins on all three fronts. Let me know when you can go diving. I'll come and bring a couple for us to play on. I'm free Sunday afternoon.

So up in NJ we wear hoods - I would say it was less than I was expecting. I did ride it once without a hood and I did not notice any issues. That said I was able to ride up to fish that seemed interested in the object so I was not scaring them with any noise.

I remember trying to turn in the direction I wanted was ridiculously difficult – I kept reaching up with my free hand to push the nose cone where I wanted to go. Push on the left side to go right or push down on the nose cone to go down – it was not much fun… I kept thinking why is everyone so excited about these machines? The bigger the DPV the harder it was to push the nose cone the way I wanted to go and I was getting tired using my arms – I thought this was supposed to be fun…
A scooter is by far the best piece of diving gear I have, nothing tops the fun of a DPV, not to mention it's advantages.

If you can reach the nose of the scooter while on the trigger, it's telling me your leash cord is too short, the Aquaprop is small, but even that one I don't think the nose is reachable, since you mentioned reaching for the nose on the bigger scooters also, I'd say your leash is in fact way too short.

A scooter is by far the best piece of diving gear I have, nothing tops the fun of a DPV, not to mention it's advantages.

If you can reach the nose of the scooter while on the trigger, it's telling me your leash cord is too short, the Aquaprop is small, but even that one I don't think the nose is reachable, since you mentioned reaching for the nose on the bigger scooters also, I'd say your leash is in fact way too short.

I agree but I guess I was trying to tell a funny story that did not come out as funny as I thought it would. All you need to do is rotate the DPV for it to turn in the direction you want to go... But I did not realize when I first jumped on one... :) And yes the leash is important too... lol

@Basking Ridge Diver one of the weird things with the Aquaprop is that you are forced to ride it with vertical tow cord. Probably a good idea for that little thing since it is somewhat twitchy, but it does make it harder to turn. Perfect little dpv for shore diving though

@Basking Ridge Diver I was just looking into this topic. I dive some of the same waters that you dive. We were even on the same boat last year. I am interested in bringing it on the the Venture III (that's if Captain Paul allows it) Do you think it would be worth the lugging back and forth for sites like the Algol, Stolt or even the Mohawk? is the boat aspect just to much?

I am planning on stepping up the shore diving next season, so I know I can get use out of it for that reason alone.

I am a boat diver in S Florida. Just got a Piranha P-1 (arrived today, waiting for me to get home)! Hope to have a report up here by Monday if the weather stays good over the weekend.

@Basking Ridge Diver I was just looking into this topic. I dive some of the same waters that you dive. We were even on the same boat last year. I am interested in bringing it on the the Venture III (that's if Captain Paul allows it) Do you think it would be worth the lugging back and forth for sites like the Algol, Stolt or even the Mohawk? is the boat aspect just to much?

I am planning on stepping up the shore diving next season, so I know I can get use out of it for that reason alone.

Yes - it is 15 lbs. My buddy bought a used Mako about 50ish lbs and he needs a buggy to pull it in the sand... Bah Humbug... The Algol would be the perfect place to use the AquaProp and I cannot wait. I have been diving shore dives only so that when I hit the wrecks it will be second nature and I wont be kicking up silt... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom