DPV Insurance ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello - I was wondering if anyone can comment on if they have DPV Insurance for their DPV?
I have DAN, and need to investigate if the insurance you get through them, covers DPV's or if this isn't included. If anyone knows this or can comment on it, let me know.

I noticed that Bonex offers DPV insurance, but not sure if this covers US residents?

If anyone has used a company that they trust, let me know.

I was wondering if anyone can comment on if they have DPV Insurance for their DPV?

I do not have insurance - I have an Aquaprop (I will call that an entry level DPV) - if something were to happen I would not use my home insurance to cover it or rental insurance. My deductible is about the cost of the Aquaprop.

I don't believe DPV's are covered like auto, boat or motorcycle - with liability insurance and such - if that is your concern - I would get an umbrella policy and put it in the contract.
My thought is I am the only one that will get hurt and my life insurance knows that I dive among other things.

Not sure but you may be over thinking this. I have a boat and a motorcycle and for those I want the coverage due to the cost of the vehicles and the damage they can do to someone else or their property.

Be Safe :)

I can look into a umbrella policy and if things like DPV would be covered on it. I know in the past I contacted my insurance company who covers my home, & they told me that since the DPV isn't in the home, that it wouldn't be covered if something happened to it. Of course if the DPV was in the house and the house caught fire, it would be covered.

My concern is if someone stole the unit, which DPV's have been stolen from various dive sites in the past, and forking out another 8K isn't what Id like to do.....
and also if something happened to the unit while diving with it, say it got smashed hard into a rock and flooded it...

I will ask the insurance carrier about policies they offer.

Your home owners insurance covers your dive gear any where in the world (minus your all perils deductible)

Can you elaborate or is the "put it in the contract" the portion that is off?

Umbrella insurance is often referred to as excess liability insurance. It acts as a fail-safe for your savings and other assets. If a policyholder is sued for damages that exceed the liability limits of car insurance, homeowners insurance or other coverage types, an umbrella policy helps pay what they owe. It may also provide coverage not included in a base insurance policy.

People who regularly purchase umbrella insurance will usually own property, have significant savings or they may own dangerous things that can cause injury (pools, trampolines, dogs, etc.). They might also engage in activities that increase their chances of lawsuits, such as:

Being a landlord.
Coaching kids’ sports.
Serving on the board of a nonprofit.
Volunteering.
Regularly posting reviews of products and businesses.
Participating in sports where you could easily injure others (skiing, surfing, hunting, etc.).

Your home owners insurance covers your dive gear any where in the world (minus your all perils deductible)

Is a DPV considered “dive gear” under a typical homeowners policy? I think that’s the question here.

Is a DPV considered “dive gear” under a typical homeowners policy? I think that’s the question here.
Scuba diving is not that special. It does not matter if it is dive gear or golf gear. It is your personal property. If you own it, it is covered by your Property Insurance.

Home and Property FAQ – State Farm®

What really matters is wacko exclusions or deductibles included in cut rate policy's.

Scuba diving is not that special. It does not matter if it is dive gear or golf gear. It is your personal property. If you own it, it is covered by your Property Insurance.

Home and Property FAQ – State Farm®

What really matters is wacko exclusions or deductibles included in cut rate policy's.

That’s been my understanding from previous discussions on this topic. So what is the OP getting at? I got the impression he thought a DPV would be considered something different—more like a vehicle? Only he can clarify.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom