DPV as a carry on bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sanjose80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks,

Going to Big Island on Hawaii Airlines. Was planning to take a Sea Doo GTI Sea Scooter along mostly for snorkeling. Anybody have any experience carrying a DPV on an airplane...carry on vs checked in? Are the airlines/TSA OK with it? I called the airlines but the person was not quite sure on what this is...she thought it should be fine if the battery is removed and kept separataly.

Check this thread for the ultimate instructional essay on how to identify dive gear and DPVs for fast passage through TSA.

http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.php?t=12895

I've used this process three times and have had no problems on any flight.

A big smile and genuine enthusiasm always helps.

Have fun!

~~~~~~
Claudette

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
--Albert Einstein

Thanks Claudette!! Thats pretty nice. I saw that you carried the DPV in check in and the battery with you in the cabin. The one I have is only 18lbs and the battery is a lead acid sealed one. You think I can carry the whole thing with me in the cabin?

It actually came with a bag. Their website says its the right size for a carry on (its 24" long though). I just cannot find anything on the battery etc.

... I just cannot find anything on the battery etc.

To ship SLA batteries as air cargo, they must be labeled "NON-SPILLABLE" by the manufacturer. The rapid pressure changes can cause some SLA batteries to vent. As for airline carry-on, there's not much guidance, but if it does vent, it SHOULD only vent gas, not liquid, but it MIGHT vent acid if it is a cheap counterfeit battery that comes with an inexpensive product from a country know for counterfeit products (and lead laced toys, hint hint).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom