DPV advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rizbit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I've seen quite a few threads about Suex VRX vs Blacktip Tech, but they ar all from a perspective of the VRX being more expensive.
Where I live, there are very little DiveXtras support, and the market is dominated by Suex and Seacraft.
The Seacrafts are nice, but pricey... So I am realisticly down to Suex VRX or Blacktip tech. The dives are CCR dives, maximum 90m (but 90% at 50m), open water.
The cost of the DPVs are a bitt odd here. The Suex being about 3400 US-dollars, and the Blacktip with batteries will cost about 3900 US-dollars.
Support is much easier on Suex as well.
Would you still go for a Blacktip, or is the lower cost VRX a better option?

Hi there! Fellow norwegian here. Now, I don't have much to compare with, but I did get a VRX, and have been very happy with it.

The charging port is brilliant, and I'm personally happy any issues will be addressed to my LDS, and not some abroad dealer

Is support such a problem? With the internet you’re only a delivery time short of support. I’ve found Deep Ideas in the UK to be extremely helpful and fast to get spares shipped.

the main benefit of the Blacktip is the DeWalt batteries. Also their support is excellent too.

Do you travel by air? The ability to travel easier makes a bonus for the Blacktip. If not, can't say it is that much of a feature to consider.

Do you travel by air? The ability to travel easier makes a bonus for the Blacktip. If not, can't say it is that much of a feature to consider.
My expensive batteries for the Blacktip also get used on drills. Would really like them to be used on a lawnmower but a petrol one's half the price of a DeWalt mower without batteries -- and you have to push it along!

My expensive batteries for the Blacktip also get used on drills. Would really like them to be used on a lawnmower but a petrol one's half the price of a DeWalt mower without batteries -- and you have to push it along!
I don't like mixing battery pack usage. You can wear down one battery pack compared to the other and throw them out of balance. I know a guy that had a ton of issues with a Blacktip, he also used the same batteries in other tools. I don't think he had a balanced set of batteries and that was what caused most of his issues.

I think you really answered your question in your post. The VRX is cheaper in your case. even with the largest dewalt batteries, 12ah, you will have more capacity from the VRX (512wh vs 440wh)

here's a quick comparison for you

Weight
VRX 35.3LBS
BT Tech 28.5LBS

Depth Rating
VRX 100m
BT Tech 120m

Batteries
VRX 512wh Proprietary
BT Tech 440 wh Dewalt

The BT Produces more thrust but cannot do it for very long. anything more than speed 5 for extended duration and it slows down due to thermals. To my knowledge the VRX does not have that issue.

The BT has adjustable FW for different speeds, gears, etc. The VRX has 2 speeds but for many that is more than sufficient.

You mentioned DX support is not very good where you are and this is true. outside of the states support is very difficult even if you have a DX LDS.

The BT has more failure sources, More o-rings, and that screen.

The BT has a screen. I've been running DPVs for well over a decade without a screen, the point is moot.

At the end of the day whatever you pick, you will likely be happy with it, they are both good units. But a word of advice, choose the unit that the others around you are diving, by the sounds of it everyone is rocking Seacraft or SUEX, which means you will find others with the same unit, spare parts, and knowledge. It doesn't matter if you have the best unit if you can't service it yourself and you are a lone wolf.

In your case I would pick the VRX. Do not underestimate how important local support is.

The Blacktip is neat, I like it and it's difficult to beat at its price point in North America. It's customizable (lots of 3D printed parts out there, you can modify the firmware, etc). The build quality is not anywhere close to SUEX.

I did a class renting an XK1 and there is no comparison between the two units (obviously, at very different price points). The SUEX trigger/handle is a lot nicer than the Blacktip and you would get that on the VRX.

I don't like mixing battery pack usage. You can wear down one battery pack compared to the other and throw them out of balance. I know a guy that had a ton of issues with a Blacktip, he also used the same batteries in other tools. I don't think he had a balanced set of batteries and that was what caused most of his issues.

I've heard that from several different places now - my 10aH packs are only going to be used on my Blacktip. I've got enough drill batteries right now for the amount of power tool use that goes on at my house, and the cost of having to replace the 10aH to get a balanced set again is not worth using them on tools IMO

It took a while, but ended up with a WRX. Very pleased with it. Yes.. I would have liked to have more than 2 speeds, but overall it is a great DPV for my use. With normal diving conditions, it has no problem handling me in a rebreather with 3 bailouts. The trigger and handle is very good, it is easy to handle in the water.. and so far it has been very reliable. It is not a top of the line DPV, but for the cost it is a very solid workhorse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom