Doxa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anyone here used a Doxa while diving. I know it's a bit of an anachronism but I like having a watch with me and the replacement value on my sub has exceeded my comfort level so it is retired. Thoughts or pictures would be appreciated. If not a Doxa what other recommendations?

i wouldn't consider a doxa a much cheaper replacement. an orient/seiko is more expendable if lost. or even a steinhart.

I was wondering if anyone here used a Doxa while diving.

The Navy issued Doxas to us lowly divers, circa 1971. Master Divers and diving officers had Rolex Sea Dwellers. :(

They chose them because they were relatively cheep and unscrewing the crown let helium leak out during decompression from saturation dives. Unscrewing the crown was on the check list to start decompression. We wore them on lobster dives and in the chamber but not when locked out.

As far as recreational diving, who needs a watch? I put mine in my pants pocket before suiting up.

For the price of a doxa I would much prefer a breitling avenger seawolf.

i wouldn't consider a doxa a much cheaper replacement. an orient/seiko is more expendable if lost. or even a steinhart.

I was unaware of steinhart - it looks good. I'll do some more reading on that one. As to being much cheaper-I mean a doxa starts at under a grand and tops out at under 4. A base model sub is over 8k and goes up from there. If I dropped the Doxa over the side I would be mad but I would get over it in a day or 2. If I dropped my 25 year old sub I would be devastated but mostly because of the memories I associate with it. If I dropped a new sub over the side, I could never tell the wife. :wink:

I would love to have a Doxa Sub300 but way out of my price range. Currently looking at a Seiko. I had a Seiko 007 I used a lot for diving in the 70's. Loved that watch. This is the Seiko I'm looking at:

2JpZh8.jpg

That seiko is a great looking watch and well made.

Back
Top Bottom