Downsizing YS-D2j to MF2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Buck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First of hopefully MANY posts to come!

We’re in the process of packing for our first trip to Roatan (staying at AKR) and I’m regretting the size of my camera rig. While it’s nothing fancy, the bulk and complication of it all (2x YS-D2j, aluminum arms, tray, TG-6, housing, and lens) still makes me want to leave it home and just use GoPro. I’ve left it all in the room or on the boat several times. I really want simple, but still want good quality photos. While not what I would consider a photographer, I do like to take better than “snapshots”

I have a smaller tray with loc line arms, and am considering a pair of Backscatter MF-2s and selling the YS, bigger tray, and arms.

I’m looking for any advice y’all may have.

How about one MF-2 and good arms? I really don't like those locline arms, and have seen many people loose lights and strobes off them.

Good suggestion. I’ve never thought about using just one strobe. I’ll have to do some searching for single-strobe shots. I’ve found that a large portion of my shots are close focus wide angle (I hope that’s the right term).

Still want to use loc line though. I run a thin line down the center for them in case they come apart by accident.

I’ll have to do some searching for single-strobe shots
If you're shooting close up or macro then one strobe should be fine.

+1 on getting decent arms, there's a lot of cheap stuff on the market these days, I still have ULC arms that I bought in the 90s.

Not a lot of macro. So I guess two strobes it is!

Any unbiased feedback on the MF-2? I like the smaller size and simplicity of a single battery.

Search for my name and see what I've done the last few trips. Everywhere from Raja Ampat to Maldives to Bali I seriously lightened my travel load.

One strobe in the cold shoe of my compact housing. Yeah, it limits a bit of lighting but sure is less crap to pack and dive with!

David Haas

FantaseaHsgInonS2000ColdShoe.jpegIMG_6849.jpeg IMG_0333.jpegIMG_0596.jpegIMG_1874.jpeg

I use MF1s on my TG set up, the light spread isn't that great to be honest.

Certainly isn't like DUAL strobes on a tray, etc. but for traveling light it's worked for me :)

David Haas

Or you can go really light like this gentleman in the Philippines! LOL......

UWphtoSenseiFB.jpg

A pair of MF-2 will do for most shooting with the TG6. The small sensor means you don't need so much light and beam spread for me (with diffusers) is certainly adequate. Remember that compared to the YSD2 the MF-2 (or the AOI equivalent) are only a bit less power and for real wide angle stuff you will be using God's light not strobes.
Bill
-

A pair of MF-2 will do for most shooting with the TG6. The small sensor means you don't need so much light and beam spread for me (with diffusers) is certainly adequate. Remember that compared to the YSD2 the MF-2 (or the AOI equivalent) are only a bit less power and for real wide angle stuff you will be using God's light not strobes.
Bill
-
Thanks Bill. This pretty much mirrors my thinking as well.

It looks like I need to make a list of my stuff to sell and get the admins to approve me for posting in the Classified section (including my RX100ii and housings)

KISS is my new philosophy!

Back
Top Bottom