Dove with a Dogfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool. My first one.

Found him on an early night dive yesterday at about 45 feet just off the Whitecliff reef in the middle of the bay.

He did figure 8's through our lights (3 divers) and was very very cool to watch :D

Too bad I missed him. We dove the cut, then headed through the gardens, and then played around in the bay for a while (steel 100s are great...longer dives!!), but we didn't see any dogfish in the bay. :(

Sure, what's your schedule like?

I don't usually have a lot of extra time (I work about 6 days a week right now...yuck!), but if we plan something in advance, I should be good to go.

Dogfish encounters are always fun. You get to experience shark behaviour without having to worry. Rat fish are cool too. I saw one on a night dive and when I shone my light at it the eyes reflected back creating twin laser beams about 3 feet long. Very cool.

Dogfish.jpg

Cool! Two years ago I saw my first dogfish at Whytecliff on a night dive. The next day I told my daughter that I saw a mudshark. She looked at me with a concerned look and said "Did it eat you?"

Fun stuff!

LOL. I met with one in Whytecliff Bay as well. For the first time. A little creepy when they swim around you to check you out.

Les: They certainly seem to have that "predatory" or perhaps "opportunistic" behaviour. It's just unlike the other fish in that they seem more keenly aware of your presence and react to it. :)

Great shot! It captures that "I may be a little shark, but I have a big attitude" look :)
We had one circle us on our descent once at Ansell... ohhh... we're so scared!.. hehe. Also saw one out at Porteau a little while ago. I was out with an O/W class and it swam right under the student's legs. Imagine seeing that on your first dive! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom